• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

bearcat no squelch.

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
have bearcat scanner i just use for nearbye firehall scanning.trouble is all the other freqs do fine but i cant squelch out the noise on the nearbye fire hall freq..its bout four hundred yards away..i always used to be able to and cant figger out why not now..

It's quite likely some piece of electronic equipment has been added nearby, causing a slight amount of interference to your Bearcat. The most common offender here is the cheap switching power supplies that are typically used on laptops and cell phone chargers.

The good news is if you can't troubshoot the problem down to locating the source and the only thing you are trying to listen to is 400 yards away, just unplug the antenna on the scanner. This will attenuate the signal and the noise to the point where the squelch should operate.

If you have luck here you could consider relocation of the antenna to reduce interference. If you're using the built in antenna, you might install a outdoor antenna to locate it away from sources of noise.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.