• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beater radio boost....

144inBama

Apr 22, 2020
Lower Alabama
Ok....I was thinking about buying an old Connex 3300 and playing around with it. I have one but I don't want to kill it while playing. What I had in mind was using the board from the KL 203 and mounting it on the lid inside the radio, I would cut out the lid enough so I could have a piece of heatsink mounted to the lid with the transistors attached to heatsink. I would connect the power leads on the line side of the radio fuse so I could maintain proper fused protection. So is this as simple as it sounds or would I need to make other adjustments?

RM Italy makes the AD203 stinger board which is made for exactly what you're trying to do. Might take a look at that and see how different what you have is, and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
You do what you will. My comments not a judgment.

Were I wanting to make a radio and baby amp one I’d fab a “ ventilated cover” for the amp. A 12V dist panel on back. A Picatinny Rail (idea) to mount speaker atop.

And maybe a frequency counter at the front.

Access amp switches from the side. All flush fit.

A Connex could also use a big ol’ S-Meter.

Season to taste with chrome & metalflake from the MR X shaker.

F1A987C4-62BF-4364-A120-DC66FD00C5A4.jpeg

Or, make it tall on one side. Fit to speaker height and French that in. Inline DSP audio filtration module behind it.

Or spread gear to each side!!

Last edited:
RM Italy makes the AD203 stinger board which is made for exactly what you're trying to do. Might take a look at that and see how different what you have is, and adjust accordingly.

The 1st pic is the AD203 and the 2nd pic is my KL203...... VERY similar, a few parts in different locations but other than that......

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-11 170120.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-11 170120.png
    610.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210111_165919.jpg
    20210111_165919.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
I don't have a 203, so not sure if this would work.
Why not mount the amp upside and use the factory heatsink?

It looks like from the photo, it would be easy enough to flip the face plate, if you really wanted to. Either way you wouldn't have find a place for the switches.

Yes the RFX units have been sold out for years.

Yeah just was pointing out better to use something designed for what he wants than trying to put a 203 into the radio. I see used RFX 75's come up for $100 or so from time to time.

I love fun frankenstein projects but IMO in this case better to just put the KL203 inline than try to put it inside a radio. Otherwise you may ruin a radio and amp.

Reactions: Cabover Bob
The one I have swings about 25, but the one I buy just for this project, I can keep it at 12 or less.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. If anything, you will learn what not to do in the process. I would imagine that you would need a piece of sheet metal between the amp and radio boards to act as an RF shield. This is the best part about this hobby, switching stuff around and trying different things is the fun part. Make sure to post some pictures as you dig into it.

Reactions: 144inBama
177890d1395094471-laughlin-photo-thread-2014-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.