• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beating Horses

ponykilr

Feb 20, 2014
I know it has been discussed until heads have exploded, but here is another guy who wants to expand his capabilities and needs a tool to do it with.

I want to get back into CB SSB and later get my ticket. I am wavering between the Optima and the RCI2970N2 (the 257HP is perfect except for all of the issues reported with them). Both I understand are fantastic. The Optima may require an amplifier while the RCI has plenty of power.

The only thing I am not sure about is that the Optima has no standard CB channel display, correct? I guess I will need to memorize the freq. if I choose it.

Which one and why? Has there been glaring issues with either? If you have had both, which one would you keep?

I love my 257HP, and haven't had any issues with it since I bought it a couple of years ago. Making contacts on it with 10 meters is fun, and it gets compliments, too! That being said, I understand your not being interested due to quality problems. So, I'd probably look at the Optima as a solution, mostly because of features and size. The 2970's I've heard on the air sounded top shelf, but they are BIG radios.

Brett

If you're not in a hurry it might be worth it to wait a couple of months. Might be a couple of more radios coming out towards summer.

That would be great, I am looking at getting a radio of about 100 watts and for the price I have in mind the Radios with SSB are too much for me now so I am looking at the Galaxy 99V2 and use it with my small AMP When needed or connex 4300 hp with the 2290 AM FM It would be nice to see a few new radios on tne market:bdh:

CBradiomagazine.com; are you able to elaborate on which brands might have some new offerings available in 2014 ? I am also on the verge of buying and had assumed that what-you-see-is-what-you-get currently.
I might hold off if I knew anyone was about to release a new model in the next few months.
Thanks !

Isn't the Magnum 257/rfx75 supposed to be updated or replaced? I REALLY like what it offers, but the reports of failures are just so numerous for me to commit.

The Optima is great but what it lacks for me is that if set to operate on all bands it can not be easily switched to CB channel display. It's one thing to be sitting still trying to DX, it is another to need to switch to another CB channel quickly while trying to figure it out by frequency.

The RCI2970 looks like a great answer and tons of power. It is big though and $400.

We need an Optima with RFX75 power and easily switchable freq/cb display.

Well we've seen the Anytone 6666 prototype video and I'm assuming if they let a prototype out for testing it's probably getting close to release.

There are some others coming as well but I don't know much about them yet and can't really discuss details because it's still pretty early.

Rest assured, when I hear the news and am allowed to share I will post up here first.

Reactions: 1 person
The companys do listen, I like the 2950 and what is has to offer but also like my channels in banks of 40 with an option of echo, The big analog galaxy type meter 100 watts and starlite or lighted buttons did I leave anything out? I ask to much What would be reasonable at a good price. We do have a lot of nice offerings now. It's allways nice to see what the spring will bring.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.