• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bent dipole...

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
The best I can do is a straight 40M dipole on the lot I have.

If it's bent into a kinda "C" shape, what can I expect for 80M?

I bet you can come up with four, 75' sides. There ya got a square loop for 80....which will also work on all bands above 80 up to 6 meters.

Only HF antenna I will use is a Loop.

Good luck!

74IN,
If you bend an 80 meter dipole into a 'C' shape, it does change it's performance. that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be 'bad', just that it won't be a 'classic' 80 meter antenna's performance. Most of the time, you'll never know the difference. The shorter you can make those 'arms' hanging down/sideways, the better off you will be.
I hate to admit it but I agree with 'Wire Weasel', I really like loops. But then, he's sort of loopy to start with, you know??
- 'Doc

"If it's bent into a kinda "C" shape, what can I expect for 80M?"

what you can expect is that if you cut the dipole to frequency according to formula, when the ends of the elements come together to form the "C" the increased capacitive coupling between them will drive the operating frequency of your modified dipole above the design frequency. you can compensate for this from the get go by adding about 5 - 10% to the formula calculated length and then once you have it in its final operating position, just trim to frequency.

I use a 75 meter loop strung in some trees, its not purty but it works better than any antenna I have built so far. Dont think too deep into it, make the antenna a little long and start trimming til you get it to where you want to operate. Or just add a tuner.:D(y)

What are you using for feedline? ladder or coax.

That ought'a work! I wouldn't worry about it if you've already got that 4:1 balun, but a 1:1 will work just as well, and give you a bit more 'skootch' room with that tuner. About the only benefit would be the balanced to unbalanced thingy. If that loop happens to be used on other bands, there isn't going to be any impedance conversion by that balun that's going to be particularly 'close' to what's needed anyway, so why worry about it, the tuner will handle it anyway. All kinds of things you could do with the shape of loops, change it's 'direction' of radiation, polarity, and who knows what else. After getting used to how it behaves in one configuration, change it and see what else it can do. That ought'a keep you busy for the next 5-10 minutes/years (take your pick of time periods). :)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.