• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best all around cb radio am and ssb???

I would have to say.....Uniden Grant XL and LT, Cobra 148GTL made in either Malasia (this would include the 148GTLF), Phillippines, or Taiwan, the Washington (3 buttons in the lower right corner) or my personal favorite:
76_1_sbl.JPG

If you want to buy a new 40 channel CB that is good on AM & SSB, tunes up well, then you might look at the Galaxy DX 959/949 or 2547 (base) / Texas Ranger 696 base radios. The Texas Ranger 696 FD-1 has the same chassis also.

I think these chassis' are the best 40 channel chassis' being produced today, and compare well to the Uniden chassis used on the Grants (which are no longer in prduction). The chassis is made by Ranger.

These radios do not drift on sideband like their export counterparts, are very easy to modify and have good modulation circuits.

For new 40 channel radios, they are quite good and reasonably priced.

Alot might laugh but I have a 95T that is quite possibly the best radio I have owned. Its better than my Lincoln, S-9 and 148....Rock solid on SSB and a real screamer on AM

CDX8412 said:
If you want to buy a new 40 channel CB that is good on AM & SSB, tunes up well, then you might look at the Galaxy DX 959/949 or 2547 (base) / Texas Ranger 696 base radios. The Texas Ranger 696 FD-1 has the same chassis also.

These radios do not drift on sideband like their export counterparts, are very easy to modify and have good modulation circuits.

For new 40 channel radios, they are quite good and reasonably priced.
I agree with most of that too. I do not think their adjacent channel rejection is 50% as good as a Grant/148 and I have seen them tend to drift, especially when cold.

Texas Ranger 696F base radios. 959 (freq. counter)/949 mobile radios as far as cb radios are concerned. The 696 is a damned nice radio for the price as well as ease of modification. If I personally had a base station ,it would be one of those.TR696F SSB/WX

S.K.....The 696F base is fantastic. I have one right now and I really like it. No drift on SSB at all. The one I have was modified to have a 2 pill 2sc2290s with a couple of fans. I got it in on trade a couple of weeks ago and Im going to sell it, just wanted to make sure it was 100% before I do.I really hate to part with it.Cobra 2000 and StalkerXX are great too.

As for a mobile..Ive had them all and hands down a Cobra 148 or a Grant XL. The exports to me are just over priced channel 19 trucker drivers radios. I have not seen a Galaxy that was stable on SSB....Uniden and Cobra are good AM radios also

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.