• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best AM channel for skip?

channel 28, channel 17, channel 16 lsb, 38 lsb, channel 1,if you want over seas,,,, channel 27 lsb is calling freq for england,,, then there is the freeband freqs.......

10 m 28.380 usb 28.400usb

Let me ask you for a little clarification.

When you say "best" channel, are you asking about a frequency with more favorable propagation characteristics than others or one with a lot radio operators ready to respond?

I used to think that too, but a friend at NASA informed me that they can - and at times do - calculate specific optimal radio frequencies based on the atmospheric and solar conditions at a precise window in time. It is kind of as if they take the solar indexes we hobbyists use and go to extremes. Communicating over hundreds of millions of miles with less than 1 watt probably requires that they have to.

I haven't found a good AM skip station, that's why I pulled my AM only mobile and bought a SSB mobile.
scanning the band was the only sure fire way for me to find skip contacts.
you can hear lots of skip on 19 here, but shooting skip on 19 gets more angry locals than it did skip contacts.

channel 28, channel 17, channel 16 lsb, 38 lsb, channel 1,if you want over seas,,,, channel 27 lsb is calling freq for england,,, then there is the freeband freqs.......

10 m 28.380 usb 28.400usb

so you're saying he can talk on AM so the people on all those ssb freqs will come to AM to talk to him?
not how it works around here.

I used to think that too, but a friend at NASA informed me that they can - and at times do - calculate specific optimal radio frequencies based on the atmospheric and solar conditions at a precise window in time. It is kind of as if they take the solar indexes we hobbyists use and go to extremes. Communicating over hundreds of millions of miles with less than 1 watt probably requires that they have to.

There are resources out there that allow anyone to "predict" best path, freq, time of day, etc for communicating to an area of the planet. When I was big into DX'ing I used a small app by a ham with an N6 call but I can't remember the entire call. I would input the solar flux numbers and it would give me propagation predictions into different countries. It was surprisingly accurate . I used it's predictions to point my antenna at Africa at the right time to contact countries I had never worked or even heard on the air.

You can also use the real time MUF maps if you can fingure out how to use them. I never could.

Jason W6IEE said:
Curious about 11m DXing. Whats the best AM channel that would give me the best chance to work skip with a stock radio and a good antenna?

A lot of times 10M is like a morgue, but 11 is rocking!

Thanks
If dx is rolling in the morning channel 26 AM is good. Wheather it's north American or European it's quite enough to get out s nf hear other stations, even with 5 watts. Forgot about channel 6 or the other popular skip channels. Most people who work those channels are insain. Everyone's keying at once usually over modulated splatter machines. Listen for 1 SD 227 giancarllo in italy on 26 AM. He was my first AM european contact i ever made on AM and usually hangs there. Good luck.

for dx operators whenever there is dx present, then yes, 38 lsb is the channel to go to. for an operator with just 12 watts, it can get frustrating.
my best dx contacts in-band with 12 watts are usually on the other ssb channels over 34.

you can shoot AM skip national and international, and have fun doing it, but there isn't a set AM DX channel for it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.