• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best am/ssb base cb

I don't think anyone makes legit AM/SSB base CBs anymore. You'd have to go back a few years to the days of Cobra 2000's. There are export base radios available, though.

Like everyone said....the 2000 is sweet.....Also a few others to keep in mind, but they where not just for CB...

CPI-2000
Ranger AR-3500 or the 3300....made by clear channel
a Uniden Grant XL
All the president....lincoln,2600,2510

My fav all time radio...is the AR-3500

From what I am seeing there are several folks that are running Yeasu FT 101 rigs modded for AM CB use,I would suggest the 101 ZD since some of those models use a digital display

But a pure CB station would have to be a Cobra 2000 or President

The Cobra was concidered one of the best rigs ever made,and can be modded fairly easily...not to mention unless you really get wild with the mods they will live a very long time after adding mods to them

My question to you is, what do you use most of AM or SSB. If ssb, look into modding an HF Ham radio. They will have better reciever and and tx audio. and some of the solid state hf rigs do good on am as well IC746 and kenwoods are among the best for AM as well as the high end yaesus with parametric eq's

KENWOOD TS-440S, 100watts of power, AM/FM/USB/LSB/DSB with mod and this thing you hook up that beeps when you hit the button. Its got the extra channels, all the extra channels (exactly 2,830 of them).

Does the $350 budget supposed to include everything?
You know the mic, radio, coax, antenna, etc?

If just the radio; I would get a President Madison (4th generation -~$300), Cobra 2000 GTL (~$300), Cobra 142 GTL(~$200), or a CPI 2000 (~$300).

If an export; then a RCI 2980 or an RCI 2990 (either ~$325).

Personally, I prefer to use a 'export' 10 meter mobile radio with a 12v supply.
Like a Magnum or a Galaxy...

I already have a maco 5/8 antenna. I live in West Virginia so I put it back up on a mountian. I used a teaberry t command for about a year but the recive went out including many other things that were wrong with it. I think I will go with the cobra 2000 or one of the unidens.

"all the extra channels (exactly 2,830 of them)."

How did you arrive at that number, I wonder?
As for power out of that '440, it just depends on the mode of use. Never gonna get 100 watts of AM or FM. At least, not for long ;).
Don't misunderstand, I think the TS-440 is a nice radio, but it certainly does have some practical limits.
- 'Doc

Nothing wrong with some of the used models being suggested here. But if you decide to get a used radio that has been out of production for 15 years or more, don't be surprised if you have problems. A lot of these old classics have been hacked and clipped and otherwise molested. If you don't know of a good tech that is familiar with these radios, then I'd stay away if I were you.

The Galaxy DX2547 that I suggest compares VERY favorably to most of the older classics. I'd say the RX isn't quite as good as that of the Cobra 2000, but it's close. It is a superior chassis to that of the 142 or later Uniden Washingtons, which were single conversion RX, which is not that great.

It is also available brand new with a good warranty and Galaxy's excellent customer service.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.