• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best antenna combo to use with MFJ-1026

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
My objective is to reduce the noise floor in several short wave bands.

With the antenna configuration described below, I'm not yet receiving the results I want - a significantly lower noise floor. I am not able to ID the noise sources, whether atmospherics (unfixable) or nearby point source noise.

I currently use an MLA-30 active loop antenna 12' high in my courtyard. It performs well.

The secondary "noise sensing" antenna connected to the 1026 is a rain gutter antenna (RGA) . It pulls in slightly less well than the loop, and is somewhat noisier.

With this antenna combination I'm not yet able to significantly reduce my noise floor with the MFJ-1026 noise reducer box.

What do you guys think a better noise sensing antenna might be for my MFJ1026 to accompany my main MLA-30 active loop to substitute for my current RGA as noise antenna?

My contraints: A very small courtyard back yard and an HOA.

The RGA itself is noisier than I would like and is likely a contributor to poor results.

I either need to improve my noise antenna or my noise sources aren't significantly addressable by the 1026.

Given that most who comment on this topic on other sites suggest "experimenting" because every situation is different, I bit the bullet and just ordered a second MLA-30 powered loop as recommended by MFJ. I'll be testing it out within a couple of weeks.

I am happy with my original MLA-30 reception.

This 2nd MLA-30 will be mounted about 6 feet lower than the original and about 10 feet away. So that will fit the criteria of this "sensing" antenna picking up a bit more noise than signal compared to the main/original antenna.

I don't know if 10 feet between them is enough distance, but I'll find out soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.