• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Band for Mobile Communications?

I read the posts on QRZ and not sure you got your answer to the GMRS question, so here you go.

$80 fee for a GMRS license, covers you and much of your family, including spouse, children, in-laws, etc.
GMRS is for personal communications, like you seem to be after.

Transmitter power output of 50 watts is allowed.

You can purchase used UHF commercial radio gear and program it for GMRS freqs. I have 30 or more 25 and 40 watt commercial radios I have purchased off of eBay, and have paid usually around $20 for each.

You can put up your own repeater from your house, or use other GMRS user's repeaters (with their permission) to help extend your range. Some GMRS repeaters are at commercial tower sites and have excellent coverage.

With any radio communications, you should not expect privacy, so why not use a repeater, and GMRS exists for what you described.

Highland Ranger said:
Let me ask a culture question: why does licensing seem to dominate this hobby? I realize you need a license as you do for so many things these days.

But in other hobbies, if a newbie expressed interest, the first thing discussed would not be barriers to entry.

I think that one of the reasons is due to the many intruders to the ham bands that do not know that they are operating in a band where a license is required.Also you may know that a license is required but you may be surprised how many people do not.I just started a new job and of course people want to know who you are and what you do etc. and the vast majority of folks I tell that I am a ham do not know that a test and a license is required.I guess it is just a kneejerk reaction in an attempt to defend one's "turf" on the bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.