• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Band for Mobile Communications?

Highland Ranger

Aug 28, 2005
I am looking to set up a means of communication with a 50 mile range that would not rely on repeaters or anything else but two radios and power to work.

I currently have CB's with SSB in both vehicles, but the range is limited. I'd like to replace those and get a base unit for the home.

So I need to know which band would do this, what the licensing requirements are, and if possible recommendations on a radio brand/model.

Thanks!

Well it is highly unlikely simplex communications from a mobile to mobile in 50 mile range would be possible. What kind of terrain are we talking about here?

6 meter or 10 meter with a KW should do it.

Heck, I can talk just over 20 miles on my CB base to mobile, with legal power on SSB...only when it's quiet though. That is with a 1/4 wave whip to a 5/8 wave vert. at legal height limit.

10M is usually fairly quiet most of the time too.

I spent many years on the same quest and after trying many bands including HF went with a GMRS repeater and it is good for 20 miles. The repeater only does 20 watts and the mobiles 25 to 40 watts. The repeaters antenna is 50 feet high and the mobiles just have 1/4 waves (6 inches). It's not 50 miles, but I also did not want to run a KW mobile or base. If you rig up a Ham 440 repeater on a 500 ft tower you will get your 50 miles.

Hey There...

Typiclly i would shout get an Icom..
and still on 10 meters with some power it would get the job done...you would not need a repeater...

i am not too far from you (being in metro nj-nyc area myself)

i would instead think that using a couple of repeaters on either 2 meters and or 1.25 meters or even 70 cm..

if you were to use 2 meters or 70 cm i would say
the Icom ID-800 (or a lower priced IC-208)
if you want to use the 1.25 meter band then i would say
get Alincos D-235

if you wanted to put up your own repeater say in the area of high point or in the mountians by montecelo then you will get your 50 miles with extreme ease without needing to use linears in the cars..(i gain access to repeater in queens ny all the way up by monticello..when up in the mountians and do so with my Icom T-90A HT with only 5 watts and high gain antenna

Good Luck

Good Luck

You might be best off with CB.
VHF & UHF frequencies are line of sight communications, no matter how much power you run, and without a repeater, your range is limited.
CB (HF) radio waves tend to "bend" over hills and such and can get you greater range. I can get upwards of 25 miles, mobile to mobile, and 35-45 miles base to mobile.

That range will be shot to hell in a few years. Nothing but increasing DX with the solar cycle on the upswing. Talk 25 mi, nope. 2500 mi., much easier.

re: qrz

Actually from what I just read I am hearing them say no.

That is when they aren't saying "license" . . . .

I may try to get a base SSB and a better antenna on the truck and see what that does . . . .

I can talk around 80 miles on SSB. I talked to StoneCrusher all the way to Hagarstown Maryland which is over 100 mioles when he was in his truck. But I am on a hill with an aluminum 5/8 groundplane 50 ft. up. You will have some dead spots though. The mobile setup would need attention too. StoneCrusher did not have the ability to hear me or get back like he did until he put on his Pred. 10K antenna. I can talk to Gettysburg anytime I want and that is 80 miles. I have talked to 181 in Lancaster and another fella west of me and he is 80 miles. But as I said a lot depends on both mobile and base setups.

I was just reading the posts on QRZ. I learned a new term- "cellphone Hams " LOL. I sat here and chuckled to myself when you asked that crowd how far you could get with a CB and amp. LOL ! I thought "oh no ! He's gonna get it" LOL ! Good question though. You made them think. :)

I'm going to get a decent antenna for the house and start experimenting.

Let me ask a culture question: why does licensing seem to dominate this hobby? I realize you need a license as you do for so many things these days.

But in other hobbies, if a newbie expressed interest, the first thing discussed would not be barriers to entry.

If you wanted me to teach you how to shoot, we'd discuss lots of things first before we discussed what paperwork you needed to do it legally. You'd get help getting legal - no doubt.

But it wouldn't be the first word out of my mouth.

LIcensing of amateur radio operators is a matter of international law and the US is a party to that law. I am not sure of the details but all countries are required under it to emsire licensees know enough theory to not cause problems on the international HF amateur bands.

This had been in place long before CB was created. And the FCC did not intend for CB to become hobby radio. It was for personal and business communications and required a license. But licensees began talking with each other just to chat and FCCs attempts to control this were of little effect.

Don't know if this answers your question..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.