• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best base cb ??

cottentop

Nov 21, 2008
the panhandel of WV
Hi all
I have a question out of these 3 cb's which 1 would have the moste AUDIO PUNCH and wattage and best channel mod

1. cobra 142 gtl
2, washington eather 858 or 8719
3 galaxy 959 and yes i know it is not a base radio BUT i do have a 35 amp power supply

thanks i want to hear your feedback
cottentop unit 202 10-10 standing by LOL

It depends if any of them are modified for AM mode (NPC mod) and if they can be checked on a scope after the mod.

I would say that most would have their money on the 858 chassis.
But I'm not a big AM fan. These are just guesses to get it rollin here . . .

Hi all
I have a question out of these 3 cb's which 1 would have the moste AUDIO PUNCH and wattage and best channel mod

1. cobra 142 gtl
3 galaxy 959 and yes i know it is not a base radio BUT i do have a 35 amp power supply

yes but i have had 2 cb tech's tell me that the 959 has a newer and better audio section and thus is louder and i have had some guys tell me that my 959 is a bit louder than my cobra 29 also seems like if i run rf power back just a bit the 959 is loweder

Best AM performance - Galaxy 959

Best of both worlds (AM and SSB) - Cobra 142 or Washington (8719) Both have exact same 8719 chassis)

Best SSB - Washington (858)

Depends on where you want the performance at... and of course, my .02 worth.

~Cheers~

I think the 'best' base radio for you would be the one that you can aford, does at least as well as most other radios, and that you are comfortable looking at and operating. Those things are different for different people. That means -my- best choice probably wont be some one elses choice. It all depends on a large number of factors.
So, which of your choices (practical ones!) do you go back to look at again?
- 'Doc

Hi,

For 11-meters, I like the Uniden Grant XL. (or LT) They're still available NOS here and there. (eBay, etc.) The Galaxy 2547 is also very nice. I have both and they both perform well but the superior receive on the Uniden makes it my personal preference.

For 10-meters, you might want to consider purchasing an entry-level HF rig. At the prices that some of the newer 100W+ single-band rigs are going for, just a little more gets you 10 through 80. Should you upgrade your ticket, (If this indeed applies?) you're already up and running. The IC-718 comes to mind but there are others. I bequeathed my FT-840 to my boy when he earned his Tech ticket. It serves him well on 10 for phone and when he upgrades to General, he's already equipped. I think it cost me about $600 or so over 10 years ago and Icom offers the 718 at a nice discount on a fairly frequent basis.

Good luck with whatever your choice is. See you on the bands. As always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hi all

1. cobra 142 gtl

Out of those 3....Washington with the 8719 chassis.

HI OK so today i took my 959 dx out of the mobil and ran it on the base next to my OLD cobra 148 and guys said the 959 was a bit louder than the cobra but both sounder good and loude here are specs on both radios

cobra 142 5 pin side mike extra channels up dn final is straped OR as some say volted and yep its clipped big driver and finel adj power am 1- 15 watts ssb around 24 ish

dx 959 extra channels mosfet final only 1 in this radio clipped adj power
am 1 watt to 47 watts ssb is about the same also ran a 100 watt kiker
i am looking to be herd and have good ears i use am a lot but do know haw to use SSb
i have had old washington and cobra 142 also have a d1o4
hope this is of some help i like the look of a base but if a mobil out dos what is available no big deal LOL
i could put the 959 in a gutted washington base and bee happy LOL :) just joking thanks for all your help

HI OK so today i took my 959 dx out of the mobil and ran it on the base next to my OLD cobra 148 and guys said the 959 was a bit louder than the cobra but both sounder good and loude here are specs on both radios

cobra 142 5 pin side mike extra channels up dn final is straped OR as some say volted and yep its clipped big driver and finel adj power am 1- 15 watts ssb around 24 ish

dx 959 extra channels mosfet final only 1 in this radio clipped adj power
am 1 watt to 47 watts ssb is about the same also ran a 100 watt kiker
i am looking to be herd and have good ears i use am a lot but do know haw to use SSb
i have had old washington and cobra 142 also have a d1o4
hope this is of some help i like the look of a base but if a mobil out dos what is available no big deal LOL
i could put the 959 in a gutted washington base and bee happy LOL :) just joking thanks for all your help

They said the Galaxy 959 is louder than an old side mic Cobra 148? Whoever told you that is full of shit or just drunk.......unless the 148 had an bad microphone. Single final 959 swinging 47 watts, I am not drunk enough to believe that.

Alot of how loud you will sound will depend on what desk mic you choose. Put a stock hand mic on the 959 and say a Turner plus 3 on the Washington and the Washington will smoke the 959.

Next you have to consider what tune and mods have been done to all the radio's you are considering. Then you need to ask what mode of talking do you do most of the time. Like the best SSB radio won't be the best AM talker and so on.

OK so update
first the guy may have ben drunk he was on an 2517 with 800 watts behind it and yes the 959 dos do 47 watts a lot of them will just like the genrail lee i have that dos 55 watts and my cobra 29 dos 43 watts all into a 50 omh dummy load on docy pm1000 anyway
i did finde 2 radios

1 is a cobra 142 adj power and upper channels 1 switch open voicelock

2 is a washington with 3 push buttons and 2 switches fore upper and lower channels i think both are mb8719 and oper voicelock
leening toward the washington as i have a swr and modulation meter
but if i git the cobra i would have a part radio as the cobra 142 i have needs work that cost as much as buying the other radios

PS i have eye problem's so i cant do PCB work like finals drivers and other small things BUT i do have a good cb shop near me
again thanks all fore your good advice wish i could find an old 858 washington but seems they are eather broken or very scarce plus every 1 telling me that 858 chips are gittin hard to finde have a nice day and stay safe

ive had all of those and on AM its the 858 washington or 959 for loudest punch but the best sounding rig for ssb was the 8719 chasis. the 959 has good ssb but you have to have an automatic stepper motor on the clarifier because they drift so bad:cry:
use the 858 wash for AM and the 142 for ssb but don't cut out the alc transistor or the 142 will distort on loud modulation peaks. the 858 does good loud ssb but the reciever gets alot of images from local guys on other chanels

Posts like this are always interesting because all the answers are based on opinions and emotion.

Not to mention some base their opinions on experience and hearing just about everything in their 25+ years of being a Cber. Side mic Cobra 148/Uniden Grants and Cobra 2000s are the best transistorized CB radios ever.
Radios and their exaggerated output claims are nothing new. CB has always stood for Continuous Bullshitting!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.