• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best CB Radio DX Antenna?

CB RADIO FREQ

Apr 1, 2013
Hello everyone, i was just wondering if there was a specific type of antenna that works the best for dx.(verticle, horizontal, directional, omni-directional, ect.) Thanks!

For real DX; I don't think there is anything better than a beam antenna. A vertical antenna dissipates the radio's power output in all directions, while a beam will concentrate it into a much narrower angle. Gain is maximized; as well as having the capacity/ability to minimize noise and signals from the back and sides - this makes it the ultimate DX tool - IMO.

I use the inexpensive, lightweight Sirio SY27-4 4 element Yagi and have talked all over the world on a shoestring budget with less than 100 watts. It CAN be done . . .

EDIT:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/dx-contacts/124847-west-coast-california-dx-contacts-today.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Forget the A-99 or Imax 2000

In a Vertical...Best have Owned/Used is
Interceptor I 10K

If you have the room....
Indeed Get a 4 or more Element Beam

Reactions: 2 people
I have a Imax 2000 antenna it it works very well. I use a Galaxy Turbo base unit with some work done to it which helps a lot.

it's all in the stars.....or really the sun. & sometimes in the clouds in between :)
i've talked to 6 continents on 10m, 11m, 12m, 20m & 40m....70 or 80 watts from an ic706mk2g on a magnet mount antenna-20 or 40m hamstick, or predator on 10, 11 & 12-on my mobile.

at the risk of making this a 'mine's better then yours' thread, for 11m, if you can't use a beam, ANY REAL 5/8's wave antenna.....such as maco v5/8......is BEST. vertical vs horizontal, there's so much noise & congestion on 11m dx, choice is really up to you. if you plan on talking to locals that only have verticals, or local mobiles, a vertical beam is just fine for skip.

OK - I have used this antenna for over 38 years, (and I'm on my second one). A superb antenna: Hy gain Super Predator 500

an old ad from 1972,

And a picture of the current antenna in the air. The antenna is rated at 5.1dBi, or 3dBd gain. It compares favorably to my 3 el beam. I can't recommend it enough. It is actually the predecessor (and progenitor) to the Interceptor 10K

Attachments

• New_Penetrator_Apr_2011c.jpg
    New_Penetrator_Apr_2011c.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 275
  • hygain_ad_penetrator500s9_mag_sep_1972_pg41.png
    hygain_ad_penetrator500s9_mag_sep_1972_pg41.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: 2 people
an old ad from 1972,
I can't recommend it enough. It is actually the predecessor (and progenitor) to the Interceptor 10K

1972.....ahhhh those were the days. absolutely!!! $39 for the clr vs $500 for an i10k!!!
NAAAAAAHHHHHH......sticking with my maco v5/8 that i paid maycom $59 for in 1985 :)

DX

If your serious about DX a horizontal beam is the way to go.Most of the local s will be vertical ,so going horizontal will attenuate local interference as well as putting your signal in the direction you want it.I'm running a 3 element delta loop and a imax 2000 at the same tip height . The delta is hands down better than the 5/8 on the long haul .After saying that when conditions are good you can just about work the world on a wet piece of string. Worked Oklahoma from Brisbane Australia 10mins ago with 5 watts on the vertical.

Hello everyone, i was just wondering if there was a specific type of antenna that works the best for dx.(verticle, horizontal, directional, omni-directional, ect.) Thanks!

My first answer to this would be, no antenna controls skip conditions. Mother nature does that. I have talked from Indiana to Colorado on a K-30 mag mount before. It's all about DX conditions, not an antenna. So now this comes down to what's the best base antenna. Here are some thoughts.

1) Height is might. A barefoot radio at 70 feet beats a 200 watt linear at 15 feet.

2) Beam antennas (flat & vertical) win every time over an omni for distant talking.

3) A 5/8 wave base omni like an IMAX or Maco V5000 are tough to beat for the money.

4) One step below the 5/8 antennas is something like the 1/2 wave Antron 99.

5) If money is not an issue the Interceptor I 10K is bad to the bone. I think Jogunn also makes a copy of this antenna.

Conditions,conditions,conditions

Recognize when conditions are right. Key up and call out. Works for me. All of my DX contacts came in very strong. I finally talked to 288 in Tuson,Az the other day from my mobile(Cre-8900&Sirio Performer PL5000 and no amp). I was sitting in a Taco Bell parking lot near Charlotte,NC eating a Cantina chicken burrito and listening to a local trying to get 288 to answer him. The local was talking 200 watts and had a set of beams. When 288 answered him I jumped at the chance and 288 answered me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned