• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Coax?

I have ldf-450 on my 2 meter array. Good cable but a pain in the ass to work with, doesn't go round corners well .You end up with a patch cable at the antenna so you can rotate and another cable at the radio. with a 100 ft run would you have less loss ,with the four extra connectors and patch cables ,than a single length of 9913 straight into the radio and antenna.? On the same note , the multicore cable tends to be more flexible than the solid core. And 9913 is more than enough at 27 mhz unless you plan on running 300 ft.

For that kind of distance you can forget about using coax, just none available that would be worth the effort or cost. That ladder line is possible, but it has it's own particular qwerks to deal with. If possible, that remote radio would probably be your best bet.
Before I did any of those things I'd try just using a decent antenna at your house. May not be the best possible location but see what happens.
- 'Doc

i live in a valley also. with mountains to my north west. ive been told that id do
the best locally with a 1/4 wave antenna like a starduster m-400. although my
2016 has been doing ok. for dx work a flatside rotatable dipole or a flatside yagi
would be best. trying to mount ANY antenna up on that hill will bring too many
issues. you could install a radio ,antenna, amp in mobile and go park on that
hill, ive done that too and that works decent for local tx. and so-so for dx

Try a yagi at home first. You never know, refraction ,reflection might just surprise you. Years ago I had a friend who lived west of me and to talk to him I had to beam due north straight at a large hill 1 mile away from me.As for dx that same hill stretches around to the north east .Yet I still work A LOT ! of US stations .

You are aware that the center conductor is copper coated aluminum?
- 'Doc

According to earlier posts, the RF is going to travel along the outside where the copper is anyway............the inside, (if it were copper), would be wasted anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.