• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best deal on a Yaesu 450D?

Why? Just toss up a wire and get on the air. Worry about the antenna plan after you have been on for a while.
There are several reasons to hold off for now. Starting tomorrow I will be working 16 to 18 hours a day for about 3 weeks, and that will leave zero time for radio anyways. I have spend several thousand dollars more than I planned to this month already, and I really don't want to spend any more right now. If I wait a month I would be much more likely to spend a bit extra for a nicer rig, and will give me a little more time to learn what is availible. Right now, the Icom 7300 is looking pretty sweet.

I can say from personal experience it will look even sweeter in your shack. Yes my radio budget is wrecked for a while but so worth it.
Good to know. On paper it looks like it blows everything near that price point out of the water. Maybe some of the sdr's are comparable or better? I need to do some more studying for sure.

^^^What w9cll said ^^^

I never thought I had enough room to get on the lower HF frequencies, it took some thinking...and beer. I started with something simple and improved it as I could. Now can put out a very respectable signal on 75 and the old codgers on 160 can hear me with 100 watts. A strong 160 signal will never happen but digital modes and CW should be doable.

^^^What w9cll said ^^^

I never thought I had enough room to get on the lower HF frequencies, it took some thinking...and beer. I started with something simple and improved it as I could. Now can put out a very respectable signal on 75 and the old codgers on 160 can hear me with 100 watts. A strong 160 signal will never happen but digital modes and CW should be doable.
Yeah, but he also says I shouldn't use a ham rig on 11 meters....
Regardless of the radio I buy, I really haven't had enough beer to have a decent idea of an antenna. Lower hf antennas and campers don't naturally go together. Takes some forcing for sure

Regardless of the radio I buy, I really haven't had enough beer to have a decent idea of an antenna. Lower hf antennas and campers don't naturally go together. Takes some forcing for sure

I am hesitant recommend an HF rig for CB work. Most ham rigs are capable of communications grade AM and not much more. If you're a ssb only kind of guy they are awesome. Audio gear into the data port makes respectable AM if you run it low enough to keep the alc from kicking in.

The antenna ideas will come with experience. Use what you can when you can and have fun with it.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Well I just call them like I see them. All you do is talk down to the 11 meter ops. and tell them what not to do with there radio...Really man get a life..

There's always something better but not in the 7300's price range. Sherwood testing has the 7300 ranked just under radios I can't afford.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?