• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best desk mic for kenwood ts440s

You could do a lot worse than kenwoods own mc60a which has sublime audio.

Another cheaper option with high quality audio is the nissei d308b / adonis am308, probably marketed under other names as well.

I would like some opinions on what you think is the best desk mic for the Kenwood ts440s and why?

I am using an old Electro Voice 664 Dynamic (Google it) through some processing gear. Why? Because it is sensitive and has great frequency response and it is practically indestructable......and looks really cool. They are still available on eBay and through other options although they are out of production. Mine is over 50 years old and still works awesome. I run all of my audio through a preamp-EQ-processor hence the need for an separate switch for transmit.

As for more conventional options I would probably choose a Silver Eagle. They sound good and are amplified so you can drive the unit. Personally I do not really care for the sound of a D-104 unless it is processed but the Silver Eagle seems to work well with my voice and gear. By the way, I too run a 440S.

Mike

I run a TS-440S and right now I'm still running the stock hand mic. There is no reason to put an amplified mic on that rig.. I tried a couple different ones and they both made the radio sound trashy.. I never could get the gain settings quite right.

I've got an older studio microphone in one of the drawers that is a nice 600 ohm mic that I've been toying with the idea of wiring up with a foot switch for transmit.

You have a nice radio, might as well find a nice microphone to go with it.

I run a TS-440S and right now I'm still running the stock hand mic. There is no reason to put an amplified mic on that rig.. I tried a couple different ones and they both made the radio sound trashy.. I never could get the gain settings quite right.

I've got an older studio microphone in one of the drawers that is a nice 600 ohm mic that I've been toying with the idea of wiring up with a foot switch for transmit.

You have a nice radio, might as well find a nice microphone to go with it.

the problem with an amplified microphone on those radios is the radio has its own microphone preamplifier built in,with the mc60a its just a case of turning the microphone's preamplifier off from underneath the microphone, they then sound sublime as i helped one US station to realise a few years back.he had the same trouble you had as he'd been running the mc60a with the preamp switched on.his audio was woefull till i suggested he turned it off,

he told me he'd been trying to find out for months why such a good radio/microphone combo was getting lousy reports and no-one could advise him what the fault was.

i've never heard a silver eagle sound good yet,they are far too loud and amplify too much background noise.each to their own though.

Depends entirely how the preamp is set up.
The best way to do it, is to bypass the mic preamp in the radio and use an external preamp.
Or in this case, the preamp that is in the mic . . .

another idea would be the Shure 444 desk microphone which is what I used on my 440 and my TS-430S radios I had. I actually still use that Shure 444 on our Kenwood TS-50S aswell when I fire it up in the house.

Depends entirely how the preamp is set up.
The best way to do it, is to bypass the mic preamp in the radio and use an external preamp.
Or in this case, the preamp that is in the mic . . .

Is this done by accessing accessory port #2 and tapping pins 11 and 12? I would like to hear more about accessing the modulator. I did this with my Icom 735 and all I can say is "wow!" Nice

I am using the front mic connector with a studio type mic and external preamp and man do I get a great sound with compression, de-essing and just an ever so slight bit of reverb. Outstanding results. I very seldom use the mic gain on the radio as it is plenty sensitive, for sure. Turn it in just enough to be heard.

Mike

PS. jazzsinger, I agree with you. Most D-104 mics (my 'pinion) do sound poopy due to the fact most want a "power mic" and always run them too high. Turn the gain down, talk close and they sound pretty good. Generally not a good match for my voice. Dynamics seem to work best for me.

HELLO AGAIN AND THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS. THE MIC 60SOUNDS GOOD, BUT I SAW A HEIL PRO 30 STUDIO MIC. WHAT ADJUSTMENT WILL I NEED TO MAKE TO USE THIS MIC( IF I CAN)?????????

What microphone to use is more a matter of personal preference than anything. The stock MC-43 hand mic works just fine, or an MC-50/MC-60. There's really no need to use the pre-amps or compressors with them.
The best microphone you can use as far as I'm concerned is the one that makes you sound exactly like you do in person. If you want to sound like someone else, kill'em, steal their vocal cords and have surgery.
That Heil Pro-30 isn't going to make much difference unless you run it through an equalizer of some sort, the 'extra' highs and lows it furnishes just wouldn't make it through the Kenwood's audio circuitry. Sure, there would be some change in audio, but nothing like that mic's full potential.
One alternative is to use the Heil HC-5 element in whatever housing that you like. It would work just fine.
One thing that I've found out is that -> I <- am not a good judge of what makes me sound good. I doubt if anyone else can say differently until they've done a huge amount of that sort of thing. You have to get someone else to tell you how you sound. I think I'd wanna do that selecting of -who- does that judging very carefully, you know? If they've never heard you in person, how can someone tell you if you sound natural/good?
- 'Doc

I always use a second radio with a set of headphones when I transmit so I can monitor how I sound. I think everyone hears a little differently through their respective radios so this is why I monitor.

Pleasae realize this....I operate AM mostly so the fidelity is good and it really works well. When I use my gear on SSB I just use the EQ function with compression and de-essing it sounds pretty darned good.

Another confession....I run (hissssss, cringe) 11 meters. I strive for the best sounding audio that is heard on the air and here locally I feel I have achieved this as I keep hearing locals trying to get that "big smooth studio sound". It is indeed a fun project.

Mike

The TS-440 is not designed for Hi-Fi audio, so don't waste your money on expensive mics. The standard dynamic hand mic through the MC desktop series (except MC-90) and similar mics already mentioned elsewhere do a good enough job for communications.
The TS-440 is very prone to picking up RF in the shack, one of the worst rigs I've ever encountered in that respect, and the MC-60 may behave badly as a result, as may the MC-85, but mods are available. There are ways and means to go Hi-Fi audio but beyond the requirments of this post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.