• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Japanese HF Amateur Transceivers for AM Audio

Well even though I chimed in awhile back, I must add some new information. I have aquired a kenwood ts 480HX and am astounded at the AM in this rig. Right out of the box I show 100% modulation 50 watt carrier with 200-210 watt peaks and avg is around 110-120 watts.All seen on my IFR1600 and lp100a. I have quite using my ft 101e because of this little gem. I like it so much Im buying one for my vehicle and getting rid of my "cb" rci 2950.

Play with the built in audio EQ and you can taylor the audio to whatever you like!!! Additionally, If you run an amplifier the power out can be dropped to 5 watts and still maintain a 20-25 watt peak and excellent audio. I LOVE THIS RADIO

can tell you that kenwoods always have a great sound, and every Alinco SR8 I heard on the air (on 11 meters) really surprised me. Like a few others have mentioned they seem to have a cheapo stock mic, and trim to radio shack for a 13-128 should solve that issue

The sweetest sounding modern HF rig I've heard on the AM groups is the Flex 5000A.
It sounds as good as any plate modulated AM Collins, B&W, Johnson etc.... If maybe not even a
little better.

Reactions: 1 person
Well even though I chimed in awhile back, I must add some new information. I have aquired a kenwood ts 480HX and am astounded at the AM in this rig. Right out of the box I show 100% modulation 50 watt carrier with 200-210 watt peaks and avg is around 110-120 watts.All seen on my IFR1600 and lp100a. I have quite using my ft 101e because of this little gem. I like it so much Im buying one for my vehicle and getting rid of my "cb" rci 2950.

Play with the built in audio EQ and you can taylor the audio to whatever you like!!! Additionally, If you run an amplifier the power out can be dropped to 5 watts and still maintain a 20-25 watt peak and excellent audio. I LOVE THIS RADIO

Good to know. Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.