• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Japanese HF Amateur Transceivers for AM Audio

CTStallion

Aug 29, 2010
Connecticut
With all the external audio devices, speech processors, compressors, companders, mic selections (i.e.: Heil elements), DSP units, W2IHY boxes, etc., etc., available today, enhanced SSB transmit audio is within easy reach of almost ANY station. Heck, my old Electrovoice microphone element even makes my old Heathkit HW-100 (Boatanchor) sound superb on SSB.

However, I've not been able to find much in the way of audio for AM (10 or 80 meter HF AM nets) with my Icom transceivers. I've used my IC-746Pro with several different microphones, but really can't seem to get the modulation up to where I want it. With my IC-718, I've put a lollipop (premaplified) D-104 into the REAR of the radio (13 pin DIN jack) and that seems to help somewhat. Then I run an approx 20W AM carrier into an SB-200 amplifier and can get about 200-300 watts out on 80M AM, but only 150-200 on 10M AM.

What I'd like to do is use my IC-706MKIIG for AM into my AL-811H BUT, if I go into the rear 13pin DIN with my D-104, then I've occupied this slot and can't run my ARB-70412 amplifier interface (as the 706 doesn't offer RCA jacks for amp relay & ALC like the 746 & 718 do.) So, my question is, has anyone ever tried a preamplified Astatic Road Devil electret condenser mic with an IC-706MKIIG for increased AM modulation? If so, how did it sound? Was 80-90% AM modulation achievable on this mic?

Lastly, what HF rigs do a good job on AM these days? I'm looking for something I can get at LEAST 80% modulation out of. That way, when I run it's 20-40W into an amplifier, I can get at LEAST a few hundred watts out on AM. I'm not looking to run LEGAL LIMIT at this point, I just want to have sufficient transmit audio into my slightly amplified carrier.

10 Meters is really no problem, as the HR-2600 and/or RCI-2950DX do a fine job here on AM; it's 80 Meters that's givin me fits. I was almost thinking of building one of those 5W VXO 80M AM transmitter kits, and then amplifying it for use on 80M AM.

Is there a current production HF rig out there now-a-days which does a decent job on AM, or should I perhaps invest in an old BOATANCHOR AM transmitter? (I really don't have the space & would prefer a multi-mode / multi-band solid-state transceiver.)

Any suggestions?

Ive heard bothe the Ten Tec omni vii and orion 1/2 on AM and they sounded SUPERB. I am actually thinking of getting rid of my ft101 line for one of those rigs.

So, my question is, has anyone ever tried a preamplified Astatic Road Devil electret condenser mic with an IC-706MKIIG for increased AM modulation? If so, how did it sound? Was 80-90% AM modulation achievable on this mic?

I heard someone try that. It sounded like crap. Don't do it. I was never able to get very good modulation out of the 746Pro, but I did get 80-90% on the 706mkiig when I had it.

Have you considered just using the W2IHY EQPlus with a basic mic? It will do the trick with that 706mkiig. It also handles phase inversion, which can be an issue on AM.

I heard someone try that. It sounded like crap. Don't do it. I was never able to get very good modulation out of the 746Pro, but I did get 80-90% on the 706mkiig when I had it.

Have you considered just using the W2IHY EQPlus with a basic mic? It will do the trick with that 706mkiig. It also handles phase inversion, which can be an issue on AM.

Thanks.... yep, the 746Pro is 'finicky' when it comes to microphones. Believe it or not, the STOCK electret hand mic does a decent job, as do Heil Headsets w/either the HC4 or HC5 elements; haven't yet tried the new HC6 full-range articulation element (albeit they are extremely LOW drive for this rig.)

GLAD TO HEAR the 706MKIIG will work however. I've got the jumper from RJ11 to 8 pin Icom; it's what I use for my MFJ voice keyer and headset. Now all I need to do is wire up a D104 or Road Devil & see what happens. What I might do is wire up an Icom 8 pin to Galaxy/Cobra 4-pin adaptor, so that I can use my CB preamplified mics with Icom radios to see which one(s) work or don't work.

The Kenmore TS-2000 isn't bad on AM. It will not make over 90% positive modulation though.

There's software in the internet to open the ssb up to 3300 hurts (the neighbors).

Ive heard bothe the Ten Tec omni vii and orion 1/2 on AM and they sounded SUPERB. I am actually thinking of getting rid of my ft101 line for one of those rigs.

You are correct!
The Orion series are the best modern day AM rigs I've ever operated.
I currently have an O2.

I have a frend down the road that runs nothing but am on 75-80 mtrs and runs nothing but his ts430 and hand mic/stock...sounds great...other than that find a old ft101e/ee/ex/or ft401b...73s de JW

About 22 years ago, I talked a ton of AM with a Icom 735 with a SM-6 mike. I don't know about percentage of modulation, but it always got nice comments.

BTW - I'm looking for another SM-6 mike

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to chime in. I use a Yaesu Ft-102 that has three 6146 tubes for excellent output audio. It is amazing, with very low IMD. I use a Electrovoice RE-20 microphone with an external audio rack. I am often told I sound like a broadcaster. Please trust me, the FT-102 is the way to go. My e-mail address is good on QRZ, and please feel free to e-mail me and I can reply with MP3 files of how I sound from various people who have recorded me.

Brad WS4B

For classic boat-anchors, the Yaesu FT-101 line can't be beat.
For contemporary, current rigs, I've heard the new Alinco DX-SR8T/E, and it sounds superb on AM. The one I heard had a D-104 hooked up. Sounded great.

I had the SR8, it did get good audio reports. You can buy them brand new for under $550. I didn't care for the tuning step and plastic encoder shaft. I believe they made it plastic for antistatic reasons with the detachable face, plus it's cheaper I guess.

I would buy another one for the right "used" price. I paid $650 + for mine, but that was within the first month of being available. I sold it to an acquaintance whom is still happy with it.

I had the SR8, it did get good audio reports. You can buy them brand new for under $550. I didn't care for the tuning step and plastic encoder shaft. I believe they made it plastic for antistatic reasons with the detachable face, plus it's cheaper I guess.

I would buy another one for the right "used" price. I paid $650 + for mine, but that was within the first month of being available. I sold it to an acquaintance whom is still happy with it.

I've read some reviews on the alinco, and the main complaint I seem to read is the mic. Everyone suggests upgrading the mic. Would you agree?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.