• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best long distance SSB antenna?

Nevrdull said:
Is the Maco pretty easy to set up and tune? Master Chief at your recommendation I believe I will set my sights on one. I like aluminum better than fiberglass anyway. Is there a place I could buy the antenna cheaper than ebay?

If you have the right tools, this antenna is very simple to set up. Their documentation only gets you close though. They do give you all the correct information to tune it correctly, but most people just glance over it and try to tune via the ring only. The LENGTH of the antenna matters too!

I have no recommendations on where to purchase this antenna. The e-bay prices look good, but I can't speak for the companies selling them. I always look at Bill's2Way first when shopping via the internet. Where do you live?

sherlock said:
I contacted him on the wy4 beam. He did say he would email me when he goes back into production on them. They look very well made.
I have to say that all the antennas the he makes that I have seen look well made! It suprises me that for the price and quality that they dont seem that popular :!: :?: Everyone who has owned one I know of like theirs to!

cheech,
I contacted him on the .64 and he replyed within a day with that he is selling them and it will be 2 to 3 weeks before delivery.

best beam i ever owned,and this includes the maco m106.that i used for years. i like quads,www.signalengineering.com.i had the thunder hawk,good beam & the white lighting great antennas.imo a quad with the same or one less element will always outperfrom a yagi beam antenna. imo :D[/b]

sherlock said:
cheech,
I contacted him on the .64 and he replyed within a day with that he is selling them and it will be 2 to 3 weeks before delivery.
Thats cool! 8) I realy like the antennas he makes! They are meant to take an abuse from the weather with no problem. Not to metntion the lightning warranty!

Nevrdull said:
Best long distance SSB antenna? Omnidirectional?

If you can fine one ???? The Skyking Antenna.. Hand made by Bill. (AmericanKangaroo 2525). Ask anyone that has talked to him on SSB.. He BLOWS SMOKE. And with out power..
TOM

Best place to buy the Maco V 5/8th is on Copper.com , This is where I got mine and the best prices + they will beat any one elses prices :D .

check it out.

AP

Hey 667, are old Bill and Ted still around? I think Bill still has a very skimpy website if you do a search for SkyKing antennas. He doesn't show anything however. I think he just wants to talk.

Do you know anything else about his antenna?

Top performance on SSB
4 to 8 element Yagi flatside about 40' and Jay's Ground plane up over Top.
Use a good RG-8 type Coax.

If they Don't hear you now then their ain't no conditions or your radio blew up...

Jonbah
CDX-3030

Marconi said:
Hey 667, are old Bill and Ted still around? I think Bill still has a very skimpy website if you do a search for SkyKing antennas. He doesn't show anything however. I think he just wants to talk.

Do you know anything else about his antenna?

Hi Marconi.. I have (2 )and a (4) Element Beam from Bill. I still talk to Bill now and then..YES Bill still makes them.. At first I thought the samething you did.. He just want's to talk. But Dude he really know's antenna's. You and I have been on the same Channel's with Bill. Tell me!!!! Has anyone EVER talk over him..NO You hear 4501,(Jarry) and 229(Ted) just to name a few with Bill's antenna. All I can say is that the 2 Skyking i have works just like Bills.. If you need Bill's number just PM me.. Dude you have to get one.. And see for yourself..

Thanks for the invite 667. I sent you and email. Sure email me Bill's number. When I get about an hour to spare I will call him. He is fun to talk to, but sometimes we get into arguments and then he picks on me when I'm on the air, you know how!

airplane1 said:
Best place to buy the Maco V 5/8th is on Copper.com , This is where I got mine and the best prices + they will beat any one elses prices :D .

check it out.

AP

The best place to buy just about ANY antenna is www.randl.com

They have extremely low prices and wont rape you with shipping charges like Copper will. I bought an I 2K from them and got it to my door for $81. Copper wanted $100. They tried to charge $30 shipping where as R and L charged me $11 Yea Copper claims low prices but they rape you on shipping

I have had Jays I10K and all I can say is it is built like a tank and was a great talking antenna, To bad I sold it :( I also had The skyking 2 element quad and after some bad weather lets just say it ended up in pieces. Some of the older people here will remember when I dropped it on my first install, then I noticed charger had a 4 element that wasnt complete so I bought what he had to repair it. Well no more parts :( But I will say when it was up I got my #s called more times than on any other antenna. I just moved so I dont know what kind of beam will be next. If you have the dough I would say Jays I10K but if you are on a limited budget the maco 58 should work just fine. Me I like to tinker with things and have located 3 old stardusters I am going to see if they want them. Just havent figured out how to approach them as of yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.