• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best long distance SSB antenna?

best ssb antenna

for a beam i would say the maco's are very good , Gizmochy makes a good vertical , horizonal antenna

for a omni i recmend Imax 2000 or a maco V 5/8

:LOL: Is this a real question or are you just having fun at our expense? If you are just playing, then I'm laughing with you!

If you are serious, well, here we go:

An antenna does not know (or care) if your signal is SSB, DSB, AM, FM, CW, etc.

The general rule is a vertical for local communications and a horizontal beam for talking skip.

When it comes to verticals, a 5/8 (or .64 wave) omni is the best you can get. I too recommend the I-10K first. I own THREE! If you can't afford the best, I'd recommend the Maco V58 before any fiberglass antenna.

When it comes to beams, you have a few options. I'm not sold on the Gizmotchy and wouldn't spend a dime on jo-gunn, but many out here have used them successfully. I'd think if they were superiour to regular yagi or quad antennas, the hams would be using them. After all, they spend THOUSANDS of dollars on antennas. It would be reasonable to think they would want the best. (I think they already ARE getting the best design!)

A dual polarity beam has its advantages and disadvantages. If you can find a healthy Moonraker IV, get it!

A Maco beam is about the best bang for the buck. Again, if you want to talk skip, install it horizontal.

There are so many variables, we need to know who you want to talk to. The mode is unimportant.

Quote Master Chief:When it comes to beams, you have a few options. I'm not sold on the Gizmotchy and wouldn't spend a dime on jo-gunn, but many out here have used them successfully. I'd think if they were superiour to regular yagi or quad antennas, the hams would be using them. After all, they spend THOUSANDS of dollars on antennas. It would be reasonable to think they would want the best. (I think they already ARE getting the best design!)
I AGREE!!
--------------
DXman

hey there..

let me ask an additional question..

what frequency(s) do you want this for..

oh and another thing..
there are time the Gizmotchy is worth while..
hence why i suggested the MonstrIR by Steppir
www.steppir.com

but then that is why many hams Do Spend as much as $4500 on this antenna..
so sometimes Gizmotchy works
now they also have a great vertical..
but depending on the frequencys you want an antenna for
it may be not as good as say Jay's (depending on frequency)

so then Jay's Vertical will do very well at far less
www.a1antennas.com

Later

Nevrdull said:
Which is better a Maco V58 for 90.00 or an Antron 99 for 66.00? Is the Maco worth 24.00 more?

Yes yes yes, the MACO is worth $24.00 if not MORE! It is a much better antenna! I've just done some upgrades to this antenna and am working on a few others. Maybe I can find a place to upload pictures and document the upgrades.

Is the Maco pretty easy to set up and tune? Master Chief at your reccomendation I believe I will set my sights on one. I like aluminum better than fiberglass anyway. Is there a place I could buy the antenna cheaper than ebay?

I contacted wolfradio a while back about a beam. When I got a reply he said he wasnt making them right now.

I contacted him on the wy4 beam. He did say he would email me when he goes back into production on them. They look very well made.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.