• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Mast Pipe

I always thought it was the yellow smoke was the worst. Yellow smoke was Chlorine gas which is super toxic nerve agent. There was a power plant on a lake not too far away and they used chlorine gas to treat the boiler feed water before introduction to the boiler feed water.
They had a fitting break while changing a cylinder and the yellow vapor drifted across the lake and fish were going belly up in the intake for condenser feed water.
The guys changing the cylinders were wearing "Space Suits" and were not harmed.
The landscape around the area looked like it had been sprayed with Round-up.
It smelled like a pool that had been shock treated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I always thought it was the yellow smoke was the worst. Yellow smoke was Chlorine gas which is super toxic nerve agent. The was a power plant on a lake not too far away and they used chlorine gas to treat the boiler feed water before introduction to the boiler feed water.
They had a fitting break while changing a cylinder and the yellow vapor drifted across the lake and fish were going belly up in the intake for condenser feed water.
The guys changing the cylinders were wearing "Space Suits" and were not harmed.
The landscape around the area looked like it had been sprayed with Round-up.
It smelled like a pool that had been shock treated.
Yellow or green for chlorine. Been through a few. Actually the questionable Hot Dip Galv. when being welded has many colors. Almost like those Funky Flames kids like for camp fires, often wonder if that is galv. flakes. In industry we are now required to remediate the Galv. area as though it were asbestoses. Takes added time to scope of project for welded applications. They prefer to punch or drill holes for supports to stay away from disturbing. The safety factor is just about plum out of it's mind concerning getting anything completed.

th

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I've been considering 2" O.D. x .065" wall dom tubing for a mast. Thought about fiberglass, telescoping, different pipe...thinking this...

2" OD x 1.870" ID x .065"Wall DOM Steel Round Tube 1020 DOM A513/5 Seamless

I've been considering 2" O.D. x .065" wall dom tubing for a mast. Thought about fiberglass, telescoping, different pipe...thinking this...

2" OD x 1.870" ID x .065"Wall DOM Steel Round Tube 1020 DOM A513/5 Seamless
That is 1/16" wall tubing. If you use it you will definitely need multiple guys.

With 48 feet of that aluminum tubing only 1.25 inches in diameter you will need at least THREE sets of guys. That aluminum is pretty flimsy. I put up 40 feet of 3 inch aluminum irrigation pipe as a mast and it only has two sets of guys and really should have three.

Thanks for the reply!
I maybe should have bought the thicker tube. Oh well - we'll try it on Saturday & see how it goes. I've already added eyelets for guys at three levels (45 feet, 33 feet and 21 feet). I've noticed a dent in one of the tubes though, so I might leave that one out, and just have it to 13m high (~42 feet) (and have guys at 15, 27 and 39 feet).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?