• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Mobile AND Best Base antenna for 2m

KyPoohCDX618

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 12, 2005
Sadieville Ky
Finally after something like 15 years I'm getting around to getting into the Amateur side of life!

Looking for suggestions for a 2m mobile antenna as well as one for the base.

If you can provide links to the specific antennas referenced that would be great.

73's!!

Don't know if it the "Best" 2 meter mobile but the Larsen nmo 2/70 has always been a well performing mobile antenna. Comet and Diamond make some jumbo high gain mobile antennas but sometimes they don't hold up as well with mobile abuse.. I have limited experience with 2 meter only mobile antennas.. I have always run dual & tri band models.

As for base I am currently running a comet 333. It covers 2/220/440 and does a decent enough job for what I need to do on FM anyways. Previous I ran a Diamond X50 and a X200 with great results at my old QTH. Also ran a Diamond 200 knock off that seemed to work fine. I have some buddies that run Comet gp6 and gp9 as well. Both work fine and the GP9 seems to perform quite well. Again.. all my experience has been with dual and tri band verticals in base applications also.

I'm sure some others will respond with their own thoughts and opinions..
Good luck and 73

I use a cp22e 2m base and it works well. I use a tram nmo dual band on a mag mount in the mobile does well. Hustler makes a 82 inch stick I kinda wanna try

Reactions: KyPoohCDX618
my opinion? hustler cgt 144 for mobile,,, it can be used on 10 meters too,, note that most base loaded 5/8 wave 2 meter can be used for 6 meter work also,,, base? cushcraft arx2b

Reactions: BJ radionut
Diamond for the car here and diamond X 510 N with C in the bottom replaced with piece of teflon coax cable as feed in C because i run 200+ watts on 2 meter sometimes and the original C burns out.
On the car i use 2 diamond versions a 3 foot long one and a 5 feet long one, last one is a bit problematic on the old van i had because it hit bridges all the time ;), didn't bend or break though.
Don;t know the type numbers out of my head here too cold and wet outside to go yo the car to find out maybe later if wished.

Antenna Only
Model CG-144

• Identical electrical characteristics as the CGT-144.
  • Supplied in resonant length.
  • With 3/8" x 24 thread base for ball mounts (mount and cable not included).
  • Length: 7'1".
  • Weight: 1.84 lb.
  • The Ultimate in 144-148 MHz. Collinear Mobile Performance
  • Gain: 5.2 dB - absolutely the highest gain mobile antenna available.
  • Phased 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave design.
  • Optimum low angle radiation pattern.

Last edited:

Used one of these also, good performance, easy tuning.
I would suggest minimum height at least 30ft to bottom.

Antenna Only
Model CG-144

• Identical electrical characteristics as the CGT-144.
  • Supplied in resonant length.
  • With 3/8" x 24 thread base for ball mounts (mount and cable not included).
  • Length: 7'1".
  • Weight: 1.84 lb.
  • The Ultimate in 144 MHz. Collinear Mobile Performance
  • Gain: 5.2 dB - absolutely the highest gain mobile antenna available.
  • Phased 5/8 wave over 14/ wave design.
  • Optimum low angle radiation pattern.
Used to run one mobile and it was a very good antenna, it would reach repeaters my comet antenna could not get to.

Jeff

Reactions: KyPoohCDX618
Thanks for the input everybody!!! I only got one notification of a response, and the last couple weeks have been hectic with some pretty nasty storms doing a TON of damage last Friday - thankfully my property wasn't effected, however my neighbors and the rest of central kentucky weren't so lucky ...

Thanks for the input, everybody!!! I only got one notification of a response, and the last couple weeks have been hectic with some pretty nasty storms doing a TON of damage last Friday - thankfully my property wasn't affected, however my neighbors and the rest of central Kentucky weren't so lucky ...
That's where 2m good capable antenna and high-power rigs are good to have...SKYWARN...must copy during stormy season.

Base use on 2m would suggest a rig no smaller than 50 watts/FM...
I have a 100-watt FM/SSB on base. I use 80 watts+ FM mobile.

Mobile or Base(w/ 25+amp power supply)... (y) :cool:

Glad you came thru the storms OK...Lived in tornado alley most of my life...Chased them for many years for Skywarn...NWS...but almost 70 yrs old now:ROFLMAO: not so much!!!!
All the Best de East Central Indiana
Gary/W9FNB

Don't know if it the "Best" 2 meter mobile but the Larsen nmo 2/70 has always been a well performing mobile antenna. Comet and Diamond make some jumbo high gain mobile antennas but sometimes they don't hold up as well with mobile abuse.. I have limited experience with 2 meter only mobile antennas.. I have always run dual & tri band models.

As for base I am currently running a comet 333. It covers 2/220/440 and does a decent enough job for what I need to do on FM anyways. Previous I ran a Diamond X50 and a X200 with great results at my old QTH. Also ran a Diamond 200 knock off that seemed to work fine. I have some buddies that run Comet gp6 and gp9 as well. Both work fine and the GP9 seems to perform quite well. Again.. all my experience has been with dual and tri band verticals in base applications also.

I'm sure some others will respond with their own thoughts and opinions..
Good luck and 73
I used a Larson 2/70 for 15 or more years but I have found that the Diamond 7500SG outperforms it. I changed to the Diamond after some testing with both and a couple of others & the 7500SG out did them all. The Larson is still a great antenna just not as good as the 7500SG which I use with my ICOM 4100a in the mobile on the NMO mount on my pickup.

That's where 2m good capable antenna and high-power rigs are good to have...SKYWARN...must copy during stormy season.

Base use on 2m would suggest a rig no smaller than 50 watts/FM...
I have a 100-watt FM/SSB on base. I use 80 watts+ FM mobile.

Mobile or Base(w/ 25+amp power supply)... (y) :cool:

Glad you came thru the storms OK...Lived in tornado alley most of my life...Chased them for many years for Skywarn...NWS...but almost 70 yrs old now:ROFLMAO: not so much!!!!
All the Best de East Central Indiana
Gary/W9FNB
Appreciate the info,

I'm covered on Radio's just looking for input on the antenna's since there seems to be a lot of bad information floating around.

I got pretty lucky at my place, others really weren't ....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated