• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best mobile cable?

jeffrice6

Jul 6, 2005
What are you all Using for antenna cable on your mobile rigs? I know I need 18', and I know not to use Radio shack, So what is good antenna cable and where would be a good place to purchase? Thanks

Mini 8 or 8X(same thing) is sufficient for 90% of all mobile installations. You can get it just about anywhere that deals in CBs and antennas. Check out the local truck stops... Suprisingly they usually carry good coax. I always get the grey 8x with amphenol or astatic pl-259s. They are good quality ends and are hand soldered. Thats where I get mine. Its not the cheapest place but it saves you shipping costs and from having to wait for it to show up in the mail

g

Some of the coax I really like is BuryFlex from DavisRF http://davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm#buryflex
It isn't super flexible, so if that is a concern - you won't like it. But it's flexible enough for my mobile and base setups. 100% shielded and tough outer jacket.
What ever coax you decide to go with, and if you get the coax with the pl259's already on, make sure they are soldered - NOT crimped.

LoneWolf TN

coax

rg 8x is okay for up to to use with some decent amount of power but i fyo gona run alot of power iwould go with 213. It can handle alot of power i got to upgrade my feedline that what im gona use .It very low loss

Am I wrong about the 18' ? Ive heard thats what you need to get the best results, but......... If there is a better way I am all ears. Thanks for the replies.

Here we go again.... using my MFJ I checked my SWR from the amp to the ant. (102" whip) on a 7 foot jumper and read 1.3 using a 9 foot jumper I read 1.0. I say keep it dividable by 3 and your ok. I know some don't agree but the meter don't lie.

As far a coax goes I know Rat Shack has some crappy coax but their RG-8/U on the spool is what I'm useing and running 1000watts, with no problems.

I totally agree here with "Here we go again" (-: I use a Wilson 5000 drill through , I use 24 ft of 95X (mini 8) flat match !! and just a breath of fresh air through my 4 X 454's 1.3 around the band. I suppose RG-58 works OK depending on the situation ,but the 95X is a step up in the mobile department especially in the power department. Hardcore guys running a lot of watts in those SUV's use anything from RG-8/RG-213/9913 .....213 is a good sheilded coax that works well for both home and mobile situation with power in line , 9913 I would guess to say is the best ? Great for base station set ups and also has been known to help prevent TVI problems in certain situations.

Take a piece of string from where you want your antenna and route it like you would your coax to your CB. That is how much coax you need. If you purchase an antenna and has coax included run the coax from the radio to the antenna and do not "coil" up any extra. just spread it out like an "S" in your trunk.

18 foot? multiple of 3? all bullarky, just get it hooked up with a run of coax that fits you will be fine.

I know I know you need 18 foot of coax ITS FOR REAL!!

Check out the link below

www.stu-offroad.com/misc/myth-1.htm

If none of that works I would buy 18 foot of Times Microwave LMR 900 and run that in your car. 8)

Happy_Hamer said:
If you purchase an antenna and has coax included run the coax from the radio to the antenna and do not "coil" up any extra. just spread it out like an "S" in your trunk.

That's not what I've read. I read if you have signal traveling down the sheilding of the coax you can't coil up a few feet at the attnenna end and that will help stop it. Something to that effect.

RF travelling through a coil creates a magnetic field. In the case of coax though, it is shielded by the braid. So the RF doesn't "see" the piece of coax right next to it and it can't create a field. That's the beauty of the stuff. However, if you have common mode current (RF travelling back down the shield...not a good thing), then creating a coil in the coax will act as a choke that it can't pass through.

BTW, in the case of the person using an MFJ analyzer and comparing SWR with two different lengths of coax: You demonstrated how you can use coax as an impedance matching device. You can do that if you have to, but you're better off adjusting the antenna.

Moleculo

Moleculo said:
BTW, in the case of the person using an MFJ analyzer and comparing SWR with two different lengths of coax: You demonstrated how you can use coax as an impedance matching device. You can do that if you have to, but you're better off adjusting the antenna.

Moleculo

Your probably right but in my case with a 102" whip there is no adjustment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.