• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best mobile type antenna for 10 meters

I've been studying for my technician license and have been researching options for maximizing 10 meter comms in my semi truck. I've throughly read through ground plane and mounting information and I have a few questions.

How does ground plane analysis jive with the common placement of cophased 11 meter antennas in use on semi trucks? If this configuration is an exception, or if the ground plane is achieved via placement, can the same be accomplished with the same placement on 10 meter?

Additionally, I'm contemplating a servo rotating design using a high mounted 102" whip that i can install either on the back corner or side of the sleeper cab for use while parked. My original thought was using a ground strap to achieve ground plane however, your analysis indicates that this is insufficient. If I utilized a cophased 102" on each side of the cab, would the servo rotated design perform as well as the fixed mounted cophase designs do on 11 meter? If a ground plane is still inefficient, would the introduction of ground plane adapters resolve the issue, being that the base of the antennas would be about 13 feet above the road surface?
Read here - http://www.k0bg.com/

102" is as good as you are going to get for 10m. All the other antennas are made to emulate a 102" antenna. A 102" stainless steel antenna will handle almost anything you hook up to it. As for 2M it is too long for a full wave antenna but you might make it work with an antenna tuner. There are other antennas out there that you can buy that will cover most of the HF bands. But they are stiff, still require an antenna match, and expencive, Honestly you are better off using a 2m and 10 meter antenna and then just use a switch box. Keep your antennas a far apart from each other as possible.
Welcome!

Booy read all the bs whew.i use an A99 works great for 10 n 11 meters.plus this is kinda aged too

An A99 for Mobile? Can you post pic's of that please?
just posted best antenna for both bands didnt say mobil. But on my t 600 kw i ran 1 - 4' black wilson 2000 on back of sleeper on the hose slide rail made many contacs with it there

Please read this & maybe you will change your mind about the a99
I had one & I hated the thing.
To each there own.
Now back to the topic at hand, sorry for going off topic.

Attachments

• Solarcon_A-99_review PIECE OF SHIT.pdf
    134.1 KB · Views: 244
Top Of The Thread,
I quote.
and i quote tell me which finger im typing with? didnt know it was gonna cause such a problem on a damm old posting march 29 2012

I have been trying to figure out what antenna to use on my base unit for months, two many different kinds. this is for a simple CB navaho radio

I have had really good success both on 10 and 11 meter with the A 99 it's stands up to the wind well. Is easy to match up the SWR, and I have made many contacts using it. My longest contact with an A 99 was with an RCI 2990, From Tularosa, New Mexico to Perth Australia. Granted all the conditions were right but it was a good solid contact. For a lot of years I did the Tim The Toolman Taylor thing and had this thing for MORE POWER! Then as the years went by I took the challenge of reaching out as far as I could on the least power. My longest shout was using a 500 Mw hand held, hooked up to a Moonraker directional beam antenna. Again it was from Tularosa, New Mexico to Honolulu Hawaii. For what you have the A 99 will be perfect for you. The most you will ever put through it is 4.5 watts and will give you many years of service. The one thing I would advise with the A99. Before you put it together, get a can of clear none led based lacquer spray paint and spray the elements with it let it dry then put it together. The A99 are fiberglass and when they are exposed to the weather for a long time they will start to fray and the fiberglass will separate.

Reactions: Rwb
I have had really good success both on 10 and 11 meter with the A 99 it's stands up to the wind well. Is easy to match up the SWR, and I have made many contacts using it. My longest contact with an A 99 was with an RCI 2990, From Tularosa, New Mexico to Perth Australia. Granted all the conditions were right but it was a good solid contact. For a lot of years I did the Tim The Toolman Taylor thing and had this thing for MORE POWER! Then as the years went by I took the challenge of reaching out as far as I could on the least power. My longest shout was using a 500 Mw hand held, hooked up to a Moonraker directional beam antenna. Again it was from Tularosa, New Mexico to Honolulu Hawaii. For what you have the A 99 will be perfect for you. The most you will ever put through it is 4.5 watts and will give you many years of service. The one thing I would advise with the A99. Before you put it together, get a can of clear none led based lacquer spray paint and spray the elements with it let it dry then put it together. The A99 are fiberglass and when they are exposed to the weather for a long time they will start to fray and the fiberglass will separate.
do you have the optional 4 element radial kit? I do.
Not sure if it improves but ive made long dx contacs
I painted mine black. I got a white tram 2 meter i wish id painted black also. When i look at them with trees behind them the white 1 shows up too much.

do you have the optional 4 element radial kit? I do.
Not sure if it improves but ive made long dx contacs
I painted mine black. I got a white tram 2 meter i wish id painted black also. When i look at them with trees behind them the white 1 shows up too much.
I've looked at the ground plane kit, but never got one, it always seemed to work just fine without one. I've been out of radio for a while but looking to start back up. Right now I'm looking at the RCI 2970 N4. with a Stryker SR-A10 Magnet Mount. Not so sure how the Stryker will work on 12 meter. It seems to be more for the 10 meter band. I've been told that they have improved the rejection on the RCI 2900 series and from what I have read they do real well.

Reactions: Rwb
Never been around a stryker so i cant say but prolly has to be ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?