• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best place to get an amp?

If it is a North Star Cadillac engine the mechanic or machine shop is not to blame. I worked in Engineering for 7 years and can tell you the North Star engine is not a great design. The oil consumption and carbon issues and oil leaks are all design flaws. The piston rings are too far up the piston. The rings are low tension. The piston skirts are too short. The mating surfaces are not well machined and the engine uses too many small gaskets. Like all GM aluminum casting the grade of aluminum is poor and the porosity too high. I could go on all day like this. The North Star was one of the first engines to have insane oil consumption and carbon issues but later on not only did other GM engines have this issue but other OEM's started to have similar issues. The ones that did not had sludge issues. It all goes back to attempts to lower emissions and increase fuel economy. The latest problems are insane carbon issues and fuel dilution on direct injection engines and all kinds of EGR, blow by and carbon issues on turbocharged direct injection engines most notably on Fords Eco-Boost engines but not just Ford but all similar setup's from other companies. It always comes back to fuel economy and emissions in terms of problems with long-term durability vs power density.

The Cadilac 4100 V8 was even worse. The N.Star was just bad. Smart money would have been to co-develop the Vortec engine and have their own DOHC set of heads for it and called it a day!

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
If it is a North Star Cadillac engine the mechanic or machine shop is not to blame. I worked in Engineering for 7 years and can tell you the North Star engine is not a great design. The oil consumption and carbon issues and oil leaks are all design flaws. The piston rings are too far up the piston. The rings are low tension. The piston skirts are too short. The mating surfaces are not well machined and the engine uses too many small gaskets. Like all GM aluminum casting the grade of aluminum is poor and the porosity too high. I could go on all day like this. The North Star was one of the first engines to have insane oil consumption and carbon issues but later on not only did other GM engines have this issue but other OEM's started to have similar issues. The ones that did not had sludge issues. It all goes back to attempts to lower emissions and increase fuel economy. The latest problems are insane carbon issues and fuel dilution on direct injection engines and all kinds of EGR, blow by and carbon issues on turbocharged direct injection engines most notably on Fords Eco-Boost engines but not just Ford but all similar setup's from other companies. It always comes back to fuel economy and emissions in terms of problems with long-term durability vs power density.

The Cadilac 4100 V8 was even worse. The N.Star was just bad. Smart money would have been to co-develop the Vortec engine and have their own DOHC set of heads for it and called it a day!
On a lighter note, look what they stuffed under the hood of this XLR.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?