• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best place to purchase a Bulldog Watt Meter???

J

Jeff aka Lucky

Hey All,

I was just wondering what or where is the best place to purchase a Bulldog Watt Meter? I have seen them at several places on-line, I think Antennawarehouse.com. has the cheapest I saw. I think the price was $189.99 and a flat shipping rate of $10.00.

Or should I just keep saving and get a Bird Meter? I am leaning towards the Bulldog. Thanks for any and all input. Jeff aka Lucky

</p>

Hey i got a bulldog i got it used and i have used and owned all ,except the bird, and it has been a great meter so much that it tore up while rearrange thinks.it locked up, it was so good im in mourning. I can eat ,sleep ,well maybe not eat,i just got that use to it ,always accurate when u were doing 950 it would go ahead and give u ,1k.anyway who fixes them.? Ridgerunner 505 praying

Good luck with that.

The meter that Carl used was originally a sealed unit with a domed glass front. The glass was brazed to the metal rim of the case. A military-grade meter movement used in a mil-grade multimeter.

Carl broke the glass free and tin-snipped away the rim of the metal case. He printed a new scale. The old one was for a multi ohm/volt/amp meter.

Pretty sure they came from a long-gone surplus outfit called Brigar Electronics. If memory serves, the price was about two bucks.

You have discovered the fatal flaw of the Bulldog. Carl never bothered to seal the meter's works after he modified it. Sooner or later a tiny metal shaving will work its way into the tiny gap between the magnet frame and the moving coil.

This is what seizes the pointer. I had poor luck poking the fragment out of that coil-to-magnet gap. No room for anything thicker than a strip of paper. I did succeed once, only to have the same thing happen a month later. No idea where the tiny metal crumb came from, but the metal box has at least one opening where the remote meter plugs in.

Just be careful if you decide to use compressed air to remove the blockage. Too easy to damage the moving coil's suspension.

Never mind how I discovered that.

Good luck with that.

The meter that Carl used was originally a sealed unit with a domed glass front. The glass was brazed to the metal rim of the case. A military-grade meter movement used in a mil-grade multimeter.

Carl broke the glass free and tin-snipped away the rim of the metal case. He printed a new scale. The old one was for a multi ohm/volt/amp meter.

Pretty sure they came from a long-gone surplus outfit called Brigar Electronics. If memory serves, the price was about two bucks.

You have discovered the fatal flaw of the Bulldog. Carl never bothered to seal the meter's works after he modified it. Sooner or later a tiny metal shaving will work its way into the tiny gap between the magnet frame and the moving coil.

This is what seizes the pointer. I had poor luck poking the fragment out of that coil-to-magnet gap. No room for anything thicker than a strip of paper. I did succeed once, only to have the same thing happen a month later. No idea where the tiny metal crumb came from, but the metal box has at least one opening where the remote meter plugs in.

Just be careful if you decide to use compressed air to remove the blockage. Too easy to damage the moving coil's suspension.

Good luck with that.

Yeah tried everything except blowed it out with air and a hammer. I went bought dosy 3 meter and freq.ill try the hammer next it worked once

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.