• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Scanner Listening EVER last night!!!

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
well i know this is a very underpopulated section of the forum, but i guess it's the right place to put this.

Last night while waiting for some Chinese food to be ready, i was sitting in my truck listening to an empty CB radio channel.

I turned on my scanner app on my phone (broadcastify) and looked to see what alerts were being posted by the users in different areas across the US.

The first alert is for a prison hostage situation in Delaware. It sounded interesting so i clicked on the feed to listen in.

Lo and behold i find myself listening directly to the hostage negotiator talking to the leader of the prison uprising!!!

they were handling the negotiations on radio!!!

I got to listen for about 45 minutes before the feed was shut down.
not sure if the cops got the feed shut down or if the servers overloaded, but there were over 29,000 people listening to the feed when it went down.

the feed never came back the rest of the night. it was a bit frustrating to listen to, only because it was so interesting and intense, and sometimes the person's scanner would lose the signal and start scanning again.

im sure i wasn't the only one yelling at my phone to put the damn scanner on manual!!!

some highlights:

when i started listening at around 6pm PST (9PM in Delaware) the negotiator was saying that they had been at this for a long time already, and that he just wanted to find a way to "call it a night".

the prisoner answered that they wanted a letter of intent from Governor Carney, to be delivered to the prison by him in person and that they wanted it televised.

It seemed as if they only had one hostage left at that point and apparently had been releasing hostages throughout the day. the negotiator kept referring to a "Miss May" who was some sort of elderly female employee still being held hostage.

the prisoner was obviously conferring with others before answering the negotiator, and said that they would release Miss May if the governor came down and formally apologized for the mistreatment they were alleging.

(the given reason for the riot starting was mistreatment of inmates)

the negotiator wanted to give them a cell phone to continue talking on, as the batteries in the radios were going to go dead and he didnt want to have no means of communication with them.

the negotiator offered to trade a cell phone for Miss May, and that offended the prisoner.
the prisoner said that she would be insulted to know that her life was being bargained for over a cell phone.

this caused the negotiator to back track as it was obvious he had made a tactical error with that statement.

there were long pauses of nothing, and then the negotiator would come on the air and say something like "talk to me man!" or "let's get this settled so we can call it a night".

the prisoner came back saying that he was tired of talking on the radio, and that he felt like the negotiator was wasting time and giving him the runaround.

it was right around this time that the feed got over crowed and kicked me off.

i tried for the next half hour to get back on, but the feed was not even on the list anymore, which is why i think someone got to the owner of the feed and told them to shut it down. not sure on that one but it never came back the rest of the night.

I have been listening to scanners since i was a kid, and while i've heard some fun stuff before; never have i gotten to be so close to the type of action that law enforcement tries so hard to make sure we don't hear.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!

so, did anyone else catch any of the feed?
LC

LC:

I find this all very strange.
Let me explain - then you decide.

This story was in the news. Story claimed that a male guard was killed by the prisoners. Now if one of the prisoners wanted to end the standoff and said 'let's get this thing finished' as you said - and I believe you - this would never be finished and forgotten if a guard was killed.

I don't even doubt you for one second - wanna say that first. You listened to everything until it was cut off. Unless the guard was killed in the process of an otherwise uneventful takeover after the feed was shut off, I have no way to understand what really happened.

But cool, just the same.

Prisoners know enough to survive, and part of that is not trusting anyone for anything. Unless they are gang members/homeys. They wanted the media and governor there to be sure that they wouldn't be forgotten nor ignored. The negotiator stalled them so that the bone breaker guards in riot gear could get ready to storm in after the tear gas. Things went awry, no doubt. Some guards just peed into enough inmates oatmeal for too long for them to let those conditions to continue. Desperate men.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/delawar...rced-into-closet-saved-lives-union-head-says/

Last edited:
thanks for the replies guys!

Robb- it was the negotiator who kept saying "call it a night", by which he meant that he wanted to bring the situation to a close so everyone could go home safe.

i don't know when the guard was killed, and i haven't read about the 'when' in any of the stories i've read today.
In the conversation i heard, there was never any mention of a slain guard, or of any other hostage besides "Miss May", and it seemed to me that she was the only non-prisoner hostage left in the prison.

I am still confused about when exactly a guard was killed. the news says he was stabbed, and they also said that the prisoners had sharp objects that they used to take hostages.

maybe this guard was killed early in the day, or maybe he was killed when the cops used a backhoe to gain entry into the prison.

the overall impression i got was that the negotiator was trying to stall as long as possible, and get the female hostage released, but was never going to give in to their demands.

it sounds so strange to me today reading all the news stories with the governor saying that he will do everything in his power to make sure this doesn't happen again.
I guess he wasn't referring to going down to the prison himself. LOL
LC

LOL, this forum takes way too long to load up from my phone.
I honestly never thought about sharing it, aside from running into the house like a madman trying to get my wife to turn on the bluetooth speakers.
LC

im sure i wasn't the only one yelling at my phone to put the damn scanner on manual!!!

Nope, I was yelling the same thing. I started listening about 4 PM PDT and had to shut it off around 5:30 as we were meeting family for dinner. It was quite interesting to listen to.

BTW, you can set Scanner Radio Pro (Android) to alert you when XXX listeners are on a feed, which is how I learned about it initially.

well i know this is a very underpopulated section of the forum, but i guess it's the right place to put this.

Last night while waiting for some Chinese food to be ready, i was sitting in my truck listening to an empty CB radio channel.

I turned on my scanner app on my phone (broadcastify) and looked to see what alerts were being posted by the users in different areas across the US.

The first alert is for a prison hostage situation in Delaware. It sounded interesting so i clicked on the feed to listen in.

Lo and behold i find myself listening directly to the hostage negotiator talking to the leader of the prison uprising!!!

they were handling the negotiations on radio!!!

I got to listen for about 45 minutes before the feed was shut down.
not sure if the cops got the feed shut down or if the servers overloaded, but there were over 29,000 people listening to the feed when it went down.

the feed never came back the rest of the night. it was a bit frustrating to listen to, only because it was so interesting and intense, and sometimes the person's scanner would lose the signal and start scanning again.

some highlights:

when i started listening at around 6pm PST (9PM in Delaware) the negotiator was saying that they had been at this for a long time already, and that he just wanted to find a way to "call it a night".

the prisoner answered that they wanted a letter of intent from Governor Carney, to be delivered to the prison by him in person and that they wanted it televised.

It seemed as if they only had one hostage left at that point and apparently had been releasing hostages throughout the day. the negotiator kept referring to a "Miss May" who was some sort of elderly female employee still being held hostage.

the prisoner was obviously conferring with others before answering the negotiator, and said that they would release Miss May if the governor came down and formally apologized for the mistreatment they were alleging.

(the given reason for the riot starting was mistreatment of inmates)

the negotiator wanted to give them a cell phone to continue talking on, as the batteries in the radios were going to go dead and he didnt want to have no means of communication with them.

the negotiator offered to trade a cell phone for Miss May, and that offended the prisoner.
the prisoner said that she would be insulted to know that her life was being bargained for over a cell phone.

this caused the negotiator to back track as it was obvious he had made a tactical error with that statement.

there were long pauses of nothing, and then the negotiator would come on the air and say something like "talk to me man!" or "let's get this settled so we can call it a night".

the prisoner came back saying that he was tired of talking on the radio, and that he felt like the negotiator was wasting time and giving him the runaround.

it was right around this time that the feed got over crowed and kicked me off.

i tried for the next half hour to get back on, but the feed was not even on the list anymore, which is why i think someone got to the owner of the feed and told them to shut it down. not sure on that one but it never came back the rest of the night.

I have been listening to scanners since i was a kid, and while i've heard some fun stuff before; never have i gotten to be so close to the type of action that law enforcement tries so hard to make sure we don't hear.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!

so, did anyone else catch any of the feed?
LC

WOW, very cool... I would have stayed glued to that myself.. (y)

Wow I live about 20 min south of prison where this happened. I have friends and family who work at that prison as well as the others in this state. These prisons are so underfunded, they don't even have security cameras at the level that a grocery store does. They are so understaffed and procedures get their corners cut on a regular basis. It is absurd.

The prison guard that was killed was dead for two days before it ended. They mutilated his body in a way that I will not speak of.

The authorities knew he was dead the whole time. They should have stormed the place and shot every last one of those son of a bitches! Pardon my language. Now I need a drink.

https://www.wdel.com/news/not-an-ou...cle_5288aa46-d640-11e9-9150-a323b734675e.html

Reactions: fogdog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated