• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best setup for Galaxy 959

I have noticed that Galaxy's bleed through channels really good. But you have to be within 10 miles to hear it. I was on 6 and a guy said i was bleeding over to 5. Well i told them sorry and got off the key. Next minute there bleeding over to 6 :roll: . I think you will be happy with your setup when your done. CDX197

Hello Stick,
The antenna is 90% of your system. You can buy a cheap $35 Maxon 30 CB from Wally World and hook it up to a good antenna and you will out talk a $400+ dollar export on a cheap antenna.
Next is the peak and tune. Please be careful with who you let inside that radio. If you cannot hook up with a reputable tech (and there a some great ones out there don't let just anyone get in there and hack it up.) then be patient and wait until you can have it done right.
When the time is right have the radio set up so that on low power you are at 1.5 Watts and let her swing and you will be good to go to run the amp of your choice. The tech will know what you are talking about lol....
The Jeep is a tough install, the 102 inch Stainless Steal Whip on the back fender will be sweet and look very cool.
My buddy has a setup on his new Wrangler where he mounted his antenna on a set that mounts on the back spare tire rack and it looks great and works great also.
If you do nothing else be careful who you let touch your radio.
73's...

Final setup

Ok everyone, I finally got my final setup and it's working really well (almost anyway). I got the radio peaked and tuned and it talked and listened great. I had a firestik and all was well until I went to PA and visited my dad. I just HAD to go by the CB shop and low and behold I got a 200 watt linear. Well... then I had to change the antenna. It was holding the modulation or something, so I went back and had the cb pro look at everything and ended up getting a K40 installed. Now all is well. Only problem is my dodge car (just temp install) has one of the electric fans that is putting out a whine noise when it kicks on and off. I've tried a few different things and the cb pro says it there to stay. I guess I can live with that temporarily, but I hope I don't have the same problem in the jeep. Anyway.. talked to my dad from 14 miles and was blowing his doors off. It's great. Thanks for all the advice and tips. I'll be on the road soon and it's going to make all the difference.

nah dude i dont get jellous over a poor quaility galaxy.

those 959 are just the worst radio on the market :!:

Well, then you're in rare company. What gives anyway? Do you think there is a better production "CB" on the market? Just what makes the Galaxy such a poor radio?

galaxy

well lets set the slid on ssb , they go off freq , the starlit faceplate is garbage, do i need to go on

they go off freq , the starlit faceplate is garbage
I have talked to many people that use galaxy's and they sound fine to me. I have had my radio aligned so that i dont have to move the clair. knob and if i do they are off freq. Very few people are off Freq but yet the people that were they were not using any Galaxy's.

i don't know what Galaxy he's talking about because the 959 doesn't have a starlite faceplate. furthermore the 959 is an excellent radio which is capable of 30 Watts on AM and 35 Watts on SSB without any modifications. if left powered for 30 to 45 minutes from a cold turn-on before adjusting the lsb/usb offsets it's as stable as any other radio in this class.

freecell said:
i don't know what Galaxy he's talking about because the 959 doesn't have a starlite faceplate. furthermore the 959 is an excellent radio which is capable of 30 Watts on AM and 35 Watts on SSB without any modifications. if left powered for 30 to 45 minutes from a cold turn-on before adjusting the lsb/usb offsets it's as stable as any other radio in this class.

i was stating what i have found wrong with most galaxy mobile i have owned not just the 959 ! big deal 30watts oooooohhhhhhh aaaaaaaahhhhhh what radio in that "class" dont do that or is capable of that . this radio is far from exellent i hate to burst your bubble :roll:

good radioe

funny how folks get butt hurt over stuff that is really none of the concer well i like ever gaxley i have visted we hoppe to hear from ya stick when you get down to ft hood tx if that is were ya going listen for a redneck6 17-19-were ever the skip is .

Re: good radioe

nvcowboy25 said:
funny how folks get butt hurt over stuff that is really none of the concer well i like ever gaxley i have visted we hoppe to hear from ya stick when you get down to ft hood tx if that is were ya going listen for a redneck6 17-19-were ever the skip is .

Is english your second language?????

This is the CB forum, so what CB is better than a Galaxy CB?

It's just lip service, all you say is that it sucks.

You say it drifts? Do you think that Galaxys drift more than any Cobra, Uniden or Ranger CB?

Which CB is more stable? A Cobra 2000/148? A Uniden Grant LT, (never mind Uniden, they don't make SSB CBs any more), or is it the Midland?

So which CB is more stable on SSB or puts out more watts than a Galaxy without part changes? (BTW, I think 35W is bit much. 25W is more like it.)

After you list a model here bub, why don't you back it up with some figures, like it drifted X Hz over such and such a time period over what temperature range.

Here is one bogus argument I heard once about a guy prasing his 2950 being so much more freq stable than his export Galaxys because the freq on his 2950 display did not change, it was always rock solid, where as the Galaxy freq would change after he jumped in his cold truck in the morning and went off to work.

No doubt, I can paint a number on the display too and it wont move. There is a big difference between a frequency display and a frequency counter--this is the biggest reason for the Galaxy drift myth.

Face it, they all use the same basic circuit design and the same basic components. As a matter of fact, RCI makes most of the boards anyway.

I have several Galaxys. When I turn them on in my shack, they drift about 50 Hz to warmup over about 30 minutes. Hardly spilled milk there. They drift around 200 to 300 Hz when I get in my cold truck in the morning and it warms up about 30 degrees. Hardly anything to whine about. Sure you can tell the difference there and you need to twist the knob once or twice if you want to retain perfect clarity, but it (the clarifier) hardly goes from 9 to 12, more like 10 to 12, at worst case.

Even my Lincoln does that, even my RCI 2950 does that, so what? They are all the same basic class of radio here.

BTW, I use real test equipment to make my measurements. The frequency counters I use have high stability TCXO and OCXO frequency standards that are regularily calibrated to a GPS frequency reference, with NIST traceability. I'm not using a General 7-digit CB counter, which BTW, is the same class of equipment as the CB itself.

I'm saying Galaxys are better or worse than any other make of radio. Midlands are good, so are Rangers. But I like the features of the Galaxys and they are proven good performers.

But I must digress. I do draw the line with the new Cobra China stuff comming down the line. We shall see if the 200 stands up or not. Personally, I see it riding coat tails and fading off just as quick as their new line of soundcrappers.

'BTW, I think 35W is bit much. 25W is more like it."

from another thread in this forum entitled:
Galaxy DX 959 final change

the 949/959 will do 1.75 - 20+ Watts (low rf power) / 7.5 - 30 Watts (high rf power) on AM and 35 Watts on SSB without any modifications.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.