• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best setup for Galaxy 959

Stickman1969

Jul 16, 2005
Just bought a Galaxy 959 and was wondering what the best setup woud be for temporary use on my car. I just PCS'ed from Greece and I'm going to do a permanent install for the radio on my jeep when it gets back from overseas, but for now it's a temp install. Any ideas? Also, what would be the best way to get some power out of the radio. I'd like to be putting out from 50 to 100 watts. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

This radio is a single final radio after a good peak and tune 20-25 watts pep is tops. Your best bet would be to get a small amp once you are doing the permanent install. Also make sure you get a good antenna. If your gonna mount the antenna on the back or side I would recommend 5ft or longer antenna.

RE:

That sounds ok for the temp install. I got a mag. mount and put a firestick on it. I'm going to use this exclusively for the car for now and probably get a 8ft whip on the jeep. Also, is there an aftermarket mic that will make a significant difference with this radio or is the stock mic good? Just another question. I'm going to get it peaked and tuned in the next day or two but just want to get all my P's and Q's together first. Thanks in advance.

Yeah if i was you just get a whip. Cheap antennas but the do well in DX land. And might as well get a 2 pill why your here. But you dont want to much D/K going into the amp. 1 1/5 or even 2 watts would be fine.

Depends on how it is peaked and tuned but if it is done properly. I would recommend a good Noise Cancelling mic. RK56 or Astatic 636. Some people like Power Mic's as well. The Dm-452 is a fairly good little echo power mic.

2 Pill

Ok, now you lost me. What's a 2 pill? The more I read on this forum, the more I realize I don't know squat about radios... lmao. Hey.. but I can setup a computer network (even when the bullets are flying!!) any day of the week. Thanks Uncle Sam!! Guess I should have paid more attention in the radio class.... :(

2 Pill

Ok. Sounds good. Now, what's the difference between an amp and a linear? When I was a kid, my dad had a 3-stage linear and man he could get out when he wanted to.

yeah ,more like Modulators might be the better word ? I believe those 959s will do a npc (a nicer way to say Swing Kit?) mod like the Grants ? will drive them amps a little harder from the lower dks . this is where a N/C mic will come in handy dandy like. Also a piece of cake when coming to get more channels out of those 959s as well .

RE

Thanks for all the info. I think the one thing I've learned here today is to find a REPUTABLE shop to do the work and get what I need. The nearest CB shop is at a TA truckstop in Ohio, but the guy works out of a van in the parking lot... not sure if that's a good idea now that I've read some here. As I posted earlier, it seems the more I read the more I realize I don't know about radios. So bear with me.. I'm learning... Thanks again for all the advice.

RE

I'm actually in Indiana between Richmond and Muncie out in the farm fields. I've been stationed in Greece for 3 years and I had to get rid of my old 29LTD before I went. I'm in between duty stations right now on leave and getting ready to do alot of driving. Going to PA, NC, and then to TX to my next assignment probably close to 2k miles all to gether. I wanted a step up from the Cobra so I went with the Galaxy to see how that goes. I know there's a CB shop on I-70 going east somewhere around Columbus that should be pretty good. I think for now I am just going to get the radio peaked and tuned and then go from there later on when I mount it in my Jeep. For now I just want something that gets out pretty good, but more importantly received really well. That's why I'm going to let a "professional" tune this Firestik. I've never done one of these before so another chance to learn something.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.