• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best shortest mobile CB antenna??

Looks like my latest creation is going to give what's commercially available a run for its money.
20160903_152044_zpspo4ibnk7.jpg

20160903_171724_zps3ujanraz.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
Ok some might think this is a dumb question but here it goes. What is the best shortest mobile CB antenna? I know that the longer the better range and stuff but what do you think the most efficient shortest antenna is?
Old post yep. Love em'!
How about a Larsen, 49 inch whip?

Its not a shorty, but is definitely flexes. Radio shack made a 6 foot half breed. its a 6 inch base and the plain wire stinger to get to 6 feet. I would run it in a Firestik hood channel mount on the drivers side. On the true shorty side, My father runs a 2 foot Everhardt Flex CB Antenna, He runs in in an hood channel NMO clamp on adjustable mount on the drives's side of the hood. The Everhardt screws to a NMO to 3/8 thread adapter. I remember I ordered the antenna from the olf Truckers Supply website that is no longer with us. All together the setup looks like a HAM radio antenna setup and my father gets gut approaching him every once in a while to ask him what HAM radio he's running and what the antenna setup is. I remembers its an Everhardt and then says his son set it all up then he point to his President Andy on the front of the console.

Ok some might think this is a dumb question but here it goes. What is the best shortest mobile CB antenna? I know that the longer the better range and stuff but what do you think the most efficient shortest antenna is?
I don't know what would be the "best" shortest antenna because I've used several sizes and brand names. My last adventure was with a President New Virginia. It is short but believe it or not, it worked-out OK for a five-to-ten-mile area. The coax is very thin, and I had my doubts how the antenna would perform. Using a stock four-watt CB radio in my Honda Pilot and the New Virginia on the roof, I was impressed. There is an alternate PNI Extra 45 (look alike) antenna out there, but I've never seen or heard of PNI.

Every antenna has it's time and place depending on the situation. I have a little short center load mag mount antenna I bought from Walmart for about $17.00 that I will never get rid of it. I use it for a temporary antenna between vehicles with my Hand held and have talked about 10 miles down thru a wide valley with it. Sure beats a Rubber Ducky. LOL

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Every antenna has it's time and place depending on the situation. I have a little short center load mag mount antenna I bought from Walmart for about $17.00 that I will never get rid of it. I use it for a temporary antenna between vehicles with my Hand held and have talked about 10 miles down thru a wide valley with it. Sure beats a Rubber Ducky. LOL
Lol! For sure. I tried a rubber ducky when I first got back into radio. What a joke haha. Although, dead center on top of my old extended cab pickup I did get a 1.3 to 1.4 swr across the 11 meter band. It just wouldn't transmit or receive that far. Using my old stock Uniden PC 76XL.

Reactions: whiteastro
Lol! For sure. I tried a rubber ducky when I first got back into radio. What a joke haha. Although, dead center on top of my old extended cab pickup I did get a 1.3 to 1.4 swr across the 11 meter band. It just wouldn't transmit or receive that far. Using my old stock Uniden PC 76XL.
LOL yeah the old rubber ducky is only good for around the yard but even that is a specialized purpose. They don't break easy.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
It's a better investment is your antenna and coax than the radio itself, imo. A $500.00 dollar radio hooked to a crappy antenna will, well, sound crappy.
Be lucky to talk 3 miles. If that. That same radio hooked to a very good/great antenna using good to great coax will do a MUCH better job. Anyway, that's what my experience has taught me.

Reactions: whiteastro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.