• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Small amp selection for SSB

At this point there is no way I would pay 505 bucks for a new Texas Star 500. Your best bet is to contact Carl built, hopper built, 307 amps, or another builder and have them make you an amp. Yes it will have 4 HG2879’s but it will be just fine. Just my opinion.
Any idea which one of these builder might service their amps if ever problems, for a fee of course?

I looked on RF PARTS, and they do not list original Toshiba 2290 or 2879 transistors anymore. Looks like HGs are your only option now. Unless you want to go with an LDMOS device. Lotsa power - small packege.

- J.J.

Any idea which one of these builder might service their amps if ever problems, for a fee of course?
Yeah, they generally will, and you most likely will need to send it in for repair/service........
I say this from experience, not mine, but my neighbor has had a Hopper built sent in twice already. The second time it was stolen by a contractor Postal employee and never recovered..... He has also had a Carl built repaired twice, the second time by me...... Both of these amplifiers are 12 transistor amps......
Both of these amps do have the HG 2SC2879 transistors in them.......
;)

Reactions: Keto
Yeah, they generally will, and you most likely will need to send it in for repair/service........
I say this from experience, not mine, but my neighbor has had a Hopper built sent in twice already. The second time it was stolen by a contractor Postal employee and never recovered..... He has also had a Carl built repaired twice, the second time by me...... Both of these amplifiers are 12 transistor amps......
Both of these amps do have the HG 2SC2879 transistors in them.......
;)
Hmm, that stinks, the postal contractor getting off with that one.
That sounds aggravating.

Here's TS 350hdv available at coppers. It's wild... I remember when these amps were just a tad over 200 bucks and with toshibas.. The good o'l days.
Screenshot_20240325_194343_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
At this point there is no way I would pay 505 bucks for a new Texas Star 500. Your best bet is to contact Carl built, hopper built, 307 amps, or another builder and have them make you an amp. Yes it will have 4 HG2879’s but it will be just fine. Just my opinion

I do have some Texas Star amplifiers in my stock......
All mine have the original Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors........
Newer models that I changed them from DEI's to original Toshiba's.......
Upgraded power wires.......
350's and 500's .......
But not cheap...... the Toshiba's do cost
I've never had an issue with Texas Star, I'd like more info on a five??

At this point there is no way I would pay 505 bucks for a new Texas Star 500. Your best bet is to contact Carl built, hopper built, 307 amps, or another builder and have them make you an amp. Yes it will have 4 HG2879’s but it will be just fine. Just my opinion

Here's TS 350hdv available at coppers. It's wild... I remember when these amps were just a tad over 200 bucks and with toshibas.. The good o'l days.
View attachment 68049
Sadly, the good old days has only been a few short years

Another cheap option, especially if you are comfortable soldering.

Get one of these:

And just swap them out with the 4 Toshibas. They are the closest thing to a drop in replacement for a Toshiba 2879. They aren't as rugged and they only have about 90% of the output, but they are drop in.

If you think there may be other problems with the amp and you don't want to deal with it, send it and the replacement transistors to a tech and just pay for their labor. Still going to be cheaper than buying a new amp.

Another cheap option, especially if you are comfortable soldering.

Get one of these:

And just swap them out with the 4 Toshibas. They are the closest thing to a drop in replacement for a Toshiba 2879. They aren't as rugged and they only have about 90% of the output, but they are drop in.

If you think there may be other problems with the amp and you don't want to deal with it, send it and the replacement transistors to a tech and just pay for their labor. Still going to be cheaper than buying a new amp.
That's what I would do too, I've got a matched set of 4 already on stand by for my 500v. It's the next best thing anymore unless you can find and have the coin for the real Shibas!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.