• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best SWR / Power Meter / Cable for Mobile Applications / Install Questions

Filmpros

May 21, 2008
I am running a Magnum 10 Meter Radio with a Good Quality Amp. For starters, I need a very high quality, small, easy to mount SWR / Power Meter to setup my radio and monitor power output. Something with a range of 1 to 500 watts would be ideal I think. I understand I may have to go with a switchable sensitivity / meter to get that sort of range.

Also, I need high quality cable / connectors for the installation. I am using a Powertisck 2 Antenna which I was told was better than the Predator 10K or K40 that I also own.

I ordered all of this already from a shop on this board ... however they never shipped any of it to me and they refuse to return my calls....basically ... they ripped me off ... so a recommendation on a good place to buy this stuff would also be appreciated.

Best meter? I don't know. But check out the Diamond meters and the Palstar meters. They have some smaller sized meters that will handle the power levels you need. They generally run a little over $100. You can get them from HRO (www.hamradio.com) and from other online ham shops.

I used a Palstar WM150M. Easy install and nice line section.

They replaced the WM150M with the PM2000AM. I'm sure the quality is just as good.

Palstar.com: PM2000AM Watt Meter

Let me point out however that the more humps that you have in your feedline the more problems that can occur.

From what I have found in my experience I use my meter to check my SWR and tune the radio to match the amp then I remove the meter.

I enjoyed watching my meter when I keyed but it was more of a luxury than a necessity that ended up giving me headaches.

Whatever you decide to do I feel you would be satisfied with the quality and price of a Palstar and their customer service is excellent. They warranteed my meter that was 3 years old and did not charge me one cent. Not even for shipping. The reason for repair was my neglegance at that. A hump in the feedline if you will.

33dbeic.jpg

Where - specifically - did you buy your stuff from?
What shop ripped you off?
We ALL want to know about that one, so the rest of us don't make the same mistake.
I would appreciate it!
Thanks!

As far as a good meter goes, it will depend on how much you want to spend. Cheap meters aren't very accurate and are a waste of time and money - IMO. Get a Dosy - which aren't exactly cheap - but they are accurate. As far as jumper/patch cables go, buy RG8X mini cable and make your own in 3 ft or 6 ft lengths. Measure twice; cut once = good job!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.