• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best way to tune antenna

Rockytherotty

May 27, 2005
Connecticut
OK, what's the best way to tune my new WIlson 5000 when I get it? Can I use the meter on the radio to do it or should I get one of the SWR meters that my local Rat Shack has to do the job properly? Thanks again!

Rockytherotty said:
OK, what's the best way to tune my new WIlson 5000 when I get it? Can I use the meter on the radio to do it or should I get one of the SWR meters that my local Rat Shack has to do the job properly? Thanks again!

Tell you what,The radio shack meter is actually fairly accurate,i have used them for years i have pumped 2kw thru them and mine held it fine it did get hot!But it stayed fairly accurate,it will give you idea of whats going on swr,power,pep and average.Its not as acurrate as a bird 43 meter or a mfj259-b ,But till you get the extra cash it works well and it's nice and small and moutable about any where...73sss........Dan{aka} Mr,coily

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
use a tuned 1/2 wave line and the swr meter built into the radio. this way the swr measured at the radio will be the same as the swr present at the feedpoint of the antenna. tune for best match.

Tuned 1/2 wave line = 169.3 inches for .78 (foam) @ 27.200 MHZ.
Tuned 1/2 wave line = 143.2 inches for .66 (poly) @ 27.200 MHZ.

292 Radio Shop / FireCommunications Network

i do it like freecell says, i cut an electrical halfwave of coax and screw my short directional coupler straight to tha radio then just tune for the lowest vswr i can, one or two people may disagree but i never had a problem doing it like that.

I have always played with freq harmonics and "cut" the antenna to length using th following formulas:
1/4 wave 234/freq
1/2 wave 468/freq
1 wave 936/freq

but this is all tacticalfield communications

just cut the coax for what you need and use the rat shack meter, they are pretty good for what you pay. unless your'e running big watts, which i don't think you are, cuase you would already have a bird or coaxial dynamics. tune her up under 1.5:1 and have some fun 73

I have to agree with Mr.Coily. The Rat Shack meters are prity- damn accurat. (which suprized Jesse!) The MFJ-259B is better, but for around $30, the Radio Shack meter works fine.

If your planing on useing a amp thou...spend the extra money for the MFJ....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.