• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Better squelch ideas?

I set my squelch a couple of s units above the static "3 s units " that's about all i can do. I have the new fluorescent bulbs in all the fixtures in my house. I pickup a lot of static from them and the power lines in the backyard, it might get worst when BLP becomes a main stay. :? This is from a base station point of view.

edit; when the skip comes rolling in a couple years from now you are going to hear a lot of noise. It was hard for me to talk to my friend a mile away with a 100 watt Palomar TX 75 with a A-99 antenna 60 foot up in the air, he had a I max 2000 75 feet in a tree 6 years ago.

try leaving your squelch open and reducing your rf gain . may need to turn the volum up a lil .

Not too much you can do...... its carrier squelch in cb's.

The squelch circuit is based on a "threshold setting".... once a signal reaches a certain threshhold or strength, a switch is activated that lets audio out to your speaker. The radio is recieving the whole time and the static is there.... the radio is only letting signals of a certain strength " turn on" the audio from the speaker.

The problem lies when the signals are very low and just above the static level.... like what your saying. With carrier squelch it takes a certain amount of power to activate the circuit.... if the signal out there are at the same level as the static.... the static will most likly keep the squelch circuit open. That or the squelch will operate intermittantly... basically not holding open all the way through the transmission.

Tone squelch is sometimes a little better for low level stuff. As long as the radio can rx that tone it will keep the squelch open.

With the carrier squelch thats in that radio theres not much you can do.. modifying the circuit to be more sensitive will just be the same as turning the squelch knob down.

Nobody uses squelch for DXing or hearing really low distant stuff. Actually I rarely use squelch on my radios except when using FM.
There are not alot of really good preamps that will work either for 27 meg. There are some more expensive ones out there that some guys claim help a bit.
What you might find helps a bit is a DSP... its a Digital Signal Processor... there are ones that hook up between your speaker and radio. If you have alot of hash and trash from man made stuff a DSP will cut down on the noise. It enables you to hear certain signals or audio tones better through the static... it kinda cuts down the static in a way.
Rado shack makes one and a bunch of locals up here use them... they are not the best but they help and work well.

Besides that.... you can try peaking up the rx to recieve better or tuning the radios rx so you can rx better on one cluster of channels or 1 area of the band better than others.

Not too much you can do... a dsp will help you hear the distant stuff better but might not make any difference at all on the squelch threshold. It might help though... everyone that I know that uses one doesn't use squelch.

Try peaking up the rx...
Its alot of typing for a poor answer.... wish I could help more but with carrier squelch theres not much you can do but try to adjust it good, peak up the rx, or try a dsp to bring the signal out of the static some. And even then the DSP might make very little difference when used with squelch.

You do get used to the static after a while.

I recently purchase a Cobra HG 500 external speaker with talk back ( I think this is for radios equipped with a Dynamic control ) and noise canceling button maybe that something you can do research on?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.