• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

big block chevy's

Built a few in my day's , all in 69' SS Chevelle's , My first L-88 street car , then 2 Bracket cars , fastest I went in my last a 501ci was 10.90 et , Not Good ! I dialed an 11.15 @ The Bracket Finals in Maple Grove Pa , Broke out & went on the trailer ! Always new the car would run in the 10's but not that day !:LOL: This one had Lexan windows , Glass nose , doors , bumpers & trunk lid . But still one heavy Chevy !:whistle: Thought I had pic's on here some place . Need to find them & repost .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman and S&W357
dam nice chevelle, while in germany we bought a burnt orange 69 ss w/ 350 hp 396 bench seat and close ratio muncie, sold my last build 5 years ago 72 nova, 605 hp 540 with a b/w 4 speed. been trying to figure out how to put pic. on here to show some of them

ddd-yN6GYWAPTd_qOAjEsQ5Jnpzyk5bykG_a9mh9HdMahR3jft5sQdZltecdNlk08YqRMBSyqTiBEpBOX2ZD7wY_3BYDyS6DucWOZS7b4xVyD3TXKIPRgaMSrVxLmxv9NUQkrcwgFmGRw_RjrgAlh0DSW9ez5Y1_eflJUWVQHo6rsbU3983fU0YssMczndmpZWnQT7TnNKVncJVMVp53Pi6D3T3sU937pkQY40ZtOMCVWlABsYRkvLlqt5YWZ7ho40v_gq0uaVqqrRYynYxcgMMWvZTksGbXDJwOsabWA8gky8IkqqitoGmocIFWVJM19-Q5cnHZOOVr_t6OVbFX1lYh2JZxA0yHsy8Nu0shTXPjyE_kngRMTnuC6m0VGskR4KobquRZVP0rmnRwDYWcr9xfWjNsS6pCrDpOmFNAjwxcIWzinU3bjHF1yqJ1QUurHnnTfmSlop0qmHO23RTtDdyxEn5E0oPAicNfLuiR7rQ6qaeYbyyIYrjH2PjV2lC0YHKgGXa3aOTIyssjQ9rbt4uGWW1uo9gNRtA5U9pcV_LmK84mOjJZKRP424KeI5IFFtMQW1NtNSvtICv2AesIhhJHBNFHo1119h4hiyqMhJ0yZBR_FRHLou2F5vm_suDFm-5ymhBMQ_ISaJAjLiEXci-DhzUnoWQaL6AzjSxewanTP2Oio37CLw=w223-h167-no

dam nice chevelle, while in germany we bought a burnt orange 69 ss w/ 350 hp 396 bench seat and close ratio muncie, sold my last build 5 years ago 72 nova, 605 hp 540 with a b/w 4 speed. been trying to figure out how to put pic. on here to show some of them
thanks

Now just for my edification, doesn't the small block engine have the distributor in front near the water pump? The big block has it's distributor at the rear of the engine close to the fire wall?

All of my GM hot rods have always had the distributor at the rear of the engine block, with the exception of my 1995 Z-28. It was mounted under the water pump in the front of the engine. And it was done through the timing gear cover and had a billet plug where it normally went. I had a 1960 elCamino with a 283 cuin distributor at the rear.
Pontiac Firebird with a 400 cuin dist.at the rear. They would call this one a COPO today. My favorite land yacht 1974 Pontiac Bonneville with a 455 cuin at the rear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum
Now just for my edification, doesn't the small block engine have the distributor in front near the water pump? The big block has it's distributor at the rear of the engine close to the fire wall?

All of my GM hot rods have always had the distributor at the rear of the engine block, with the exception of my 1995 Z-28. It was mounted under the water pump in the front of the engine. And it was done through the timing gear cover and had a billet plug where it normally went. I had a 1960 elCamino with a 283 cuin distributor at the rear.
Pontiac Firebird with a 400 cuin at the rear. My favorite land yacht 1974 Pontiac Bonneville with a 455 cuin at the rear.
the small had it in the rear, they did make a set up for racing that put it up front, usually in road racing, in the 95 z im not sure about that, it does making it easier to work, back in the da when duel points was in it would of been nice, i've had alot of rods, built alot love the 68 to 72 novamy first factory bought was a 70 nova ss, 396 and a 4 sp

Reactions: 357magnum
the small had it in the rear, they did make a set up for racing that put it up front, usually in road racing, in the 95 z im not sure about that, it does making it easier to work, back in the da when duel points was in it would of been nice, i've had alot of rods, built alot love the 68 to 72 novamy first factory bought was a 70 nova ss, 396 and a 4 sp

Actually the small block/big block is strictly a Ford engine thing and not GM.
The distributor on the Z-28 on front of the engine was because they moved the engine so far back in the chassis the distributor would have been under the dash board.
The reason they moved it so far back was to get as close to 50/50 weight distribution.
When you take the engine out of the Z-28 it unbolts and drops down out of the car.
I know I did this for friends of mine that raced Z-28's on road courses and drags.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.