• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

big change in radio in my home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018
i was going to post about it but too much negitivity here so i wont. let you ask n will tell later.
and if id known the amature radio fcc license was going to be the thing it is id never took the test ,woulda expanded my cb antennas n bought bigger badder cb radios and leeneers too
might trade most of my ham equipment off for more cb equipment

i was going to post about it but too much negitivity here so i wont. let you ask n will tell later.
and if id known the amature radio fcc license was going to be the thing it is id never took the test ,woulda expanded my cb antennas n bought bigger badder cb radios and leeneers too
might trade most of my ham equipment off for more cb equipment
Don't let them beat you up for having a opinion and voicing it. I don't have a ham license and at the present time have too much on my plate to devote time to study. I think of when the time is right I will devote to study. I know how hard it is to study when you can't focus because that is how I studied for my Waste Water Treatment license. ( Home Study } That's why I sometime ask myself why am I beating myself up for not having a Ham license. Everyone has different Priorities !

Studying for the Tech exam is not terribly difficult or imposing IF you want to learn some RF basics that apply throughout the spectrum (yes, even 11m). Even if you don't get a ticket, the knowledge can come in handy. Beats hell out myths and guesswork.
Not sure about the hoop-jumping but I have found the ham bands to be very relaxed and enjoyable and a great deal more mature. But that's just MO. In the end it's whatever blows your skirt up.

..........and a great deal more mature.

And that right there is what turns a lot of people off. They enjoy their echo, reverb, and stomping on others too much. Others fail to acknowledge the fact that protocols are different and insist on being an 11m operator on all the bands. A person can do both 11m and amateur radio but must realize that each has it's own idiosyncrasies to deal with.

Studying for the Tech exam is not terribly difficult or imposing IF you want to learn some RF basics that apply throughout the spectrum (yes, even 11m). Even if you don't get a ticket, the knowledge can come in handy. Beats hell out myths and guesswork.
Not sure about the hoop-jumping but I have found the ham bands to be very relaxed and enjoyable and a great deal more mature. But that's just MO. In the end it's whatever blows your skirt up.

What I mean by hoop jumping is sitting in front of a handful of guys while you take your test and hope you did okay. Rather infantile to me and reminds me of an 8th grade quiz or something. The entire "getting an appointment, taking the test and being assigned a number" thing just seems too childish to me. I'd have to put a sign on my shack door "no girls allowed"

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, just stating how the whole thing seems to me.

What I mean by hoop jumping is sitting in front of a handful of guys while you take your test and hope you did okay. Rather infantile to me and reminds me of an 8th grade quiz or something. The entire "getting an appointment, taking the test and being assigned a number" thing just seems too childish to me. I'd have to put a sign on my shack door "no girls allowed"

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, just stating how the whole thing seems to me.
No feathers ruffled here Greg, again it's about the individual.
I found the process enjoyable, met some very nice folks who treated me with respect and no one stared at me while I took the exam. Nobody acted like the Frequency Police. The whole thing only took about 30 minutes. Now I have more knowledge, much better equipment and I'm talking over half the world when Mother Nature allows. At least to me, that's a win/win.

73 sir

While I don't have my ticket, I do listen in on a few of the freqs. In my opinion.... There's not a plug nickels worth of difference between 10 and 11 meter when it comes to people acting like an ass. 11 meter is full of crappy sounding, overpowered rigs with jerks trying to walk on everyone and 10 meter is full of pompous, self-righteous jerks with nice sounding equipment that like to talk down to everyone.... It's kinda like dating, you'll never find the perfect one, you just gotta find the one that annoys you the least.
This thread has turned in to a riot because it makes me laugh listening to all the good points brought up by everyone and I respect their view points. I know the Waste Water Treatment Exam was no picnic and wouldn't want to take that again. ( Chemistry & Math ) And at 72 YO I feel like I shot my Load. LOL I can agree with the Ham Guys every time the immature clowns go on the attack on 11 meters, but then again there is Stuffed Shirts in all areas of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.