• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bird 43 wattmeter

Only if you are not running any power thru it at the time. :D Sorry but it had to be said. Yes of course it should be at zero with no power applied to it. If it is not then you should be able to adjust it using the zero set adjustment on the meter face. It should look like a small plastic screw head on the bottom middle of the meter face.

I thought this posted earlier. Spending too much time on Facebook lately I guess. I think I may have just hit ENTER and thought it posted. LOL

Did you go hard one way to hard the other way? If you did and still no effect then there is something wrong with the meter adjustment. they are basically just a tiny plastic pin that moves the needle. That pin may be broken off inside the meter especially if it has been dropped. How far off zero is the needle?

If you rotate the meter, more or less around the axis if the meter's pointer pivot does the needle move at all?

Inertia should cause the needle to wave to one side, then the other as you rotate the thing back and forth.

If it won't move at all this way, the meter movement is mechanically damaged inside.

Hope you didn't pay a lot for it.

The replacement meter movement is sold at RF Parts, Davis RF, and various Ebay sellers. I have heard rumors of counterfeit low-quality replacement meter movements, but don't have any first-hand knowledge of this. If you see one listed at half the price of the other sources, that would be suspicious.

There are other types of meter used by Bird for other models. The one you want requires 30 microamps ("uA") to drive the pointer to full scale. If someone offers you a 100 microamp meter, it won't read correctly with the model 43 plug-in elements.

Nothing that fits a Bird meter is cheap, and the meter movement won't be either.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
The knock offs do not say Thruline or bird electronics corp on the face. Most just say WATTS and the scale is slightly different. The cheap ones may be ok but I've never used one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?