• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BLW60C

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a 2 pill that has 2 of these BLW60C pills in it and one has gone bad. I wanted to find a pair of them to get this amp running again but the only ones I can find sell for around 60 bucks each.:eek:

Does anyone have any or know of something else I can use in place of these that will not make me have to rebuild the whole amp to get it working right because of the difference? I'd love more power but I don't know squat about amps. I can change parts but beyond that in an amp I'd need help getting it done right.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a 2 pill that has 2 of these BLW60C pills in it and one has gone bad. I wanted to find a pair of them to get this amp running again but the only ones I can find sell for around 60 bucks each.:eek:

Does anyone have any or know of something else I can use in place of these that will not make me have to rebuild the whole amp to get it working right because of the difference? I'd love more power but I don't know squat about amps. I can change parts but beyond that in an amp I'd need help getting it done right.

Any help would be appreciated!

The BLW60C is a VHF transistor rated at about 45 watts output. If they used it in a CB amp they must have found a good deal on them some place. The problem with replacing it is very few transistors are stud mounted anymore. The MRF-492A would probably be a good choice here but I think the mounting holes in the board and heatsink may need to be filed larger. RF Parts sells a matched pair of them for about $60.00. It's about the best stud mount RF transistor for the money today. The smaller MRF-455A is about $45.00 each. They use to be $12.00.

Thanks for that Shockwave! I've been hoping I could put some different pills in this little box but I dont know much about amps. I know I can get the old ones out and put new in if they mount the same.

Will any of the more used pills today fit? :blush:

The MRF492A is the best RF transistor I'm aware of that mounts with a single hole stud. The more popular transistors used today mount with a two hole flange. You would have to inspect the board to see if enough material could be removed to mount the flange style. Then you have to drill the heatsink for the flange and mount the transistor right over the original hole. I suggest you stick with the MRF492A stud mount. They are rated for about double the power of the original transistor. The input and output impedances will be lower on the MRF492A. This means to get full output some capacitor values should be changed. Even if you don't change them and just replace the transistors with MRF492A's it should still perform better then stock.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned