• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Book or website, studying for tech.

Ralphie_Ks

Jul 30, 2013
Southeast Kansas
Well i have been overloading on info on all the forums here and figured it was time to say hello. I have been a driver for close to 30 yrs , yeah a cb'er but the bug has really bitten me and I'm studying for the tech test. What's the best approach, studying books or using some website to study? Thanks and Cheers.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Books tend to tell the truth. Websites tend to put their own spin on things. Forums offer all sorts of opinions. Guess which route I tend to go. :laugh:

Seriously books are something you can use to learn at your own pace. If you get on a good forum with lots of knowledgeable people it can be a great asset. IMHO this is a good forum for that. Never underestimate the power of a good mentor however. Check around the neighborhood for a ham club or some members and ask questions. One word of caution, don't mention too strongly that you are a CBer. Sad but true but a lot of guys won't give a CBer the time of day much less mentor "a lost cause". Without trying to start a debate here it stems from the blatant illegal operation and disregard for the rules that is rampant on the CB band. The old adage of one bad apple spoils the lot holds true for this as well as all those hams that feel that way and make the rest of us look bad as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Pick up the ARRL Tech and General license study guides. Read them both and test for both licenses at the same time. You wont regret it.

Reactions: 1 person
Welcome to the board !!

I agree with everyone that has replied to you so far.

MFJ has a good study book that I used to help me study for the general test,and I also done the online practice tests,didnt take me to long and I was ready for the tests....

I would also highly reccomend taking the general class test when you do the tech...it is well worth the time to do so

I agree with the Books to begin with so you know what the questions and the symbols all mean then a site like hamtestonline.com or some of the free test site.

I used any info online and downloaded to look at when I had time, and also took the test online. All was free to download and use.

Ham Testing - be nice and donate if you can!:
Free Amateur Radio Test Preparation - The Fastest Way To Become A Ham Radio Operator - HamTesting.com - Free Amateur Radio Practice Tests - HamTesting.com

Any problems that I missed I put on index cards with question on one side and the correct answer only on other side, I would take with me anywhere.

Good luck Ralphie!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. I will do both on line and book study that has been suggested. The thought of testing for both seems kind of daunting but I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. I will do both on line and book study that has been suggested. The thought of testing for both seems kind of daunting but I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Keep in mind that before 1987 the Technician and General written exams were drawn from the same pool. If you have the technical ability to be able to understand the questions in the current Technician pool, you have the ability to understand those in the General pool.

I would encourage you to try for your General ticket as well. Not only does it gives you all Technician-class privileges, it also gives you meaningful allocations of spectrum across all US Amateur HF bands. The Technician license does not have any non-CW privileges below 28MHz.

I'm also a Volunteer Examiner associated with the ARRL VEC, it's not that uncommon to have someone come in and pass both the Technician and General class exams at the same session.

I've never had someone pass all 3 exams at the same session (I hold an Extra license so I can can be a VE for all license classes) but a couple of the examiners I typically work with have seen it.

Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated