• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Boomer Deluxe 500 help please

chip3655

Jul 14, 2008
I have a Boomer deluxe 500 power supply/amp that seems to work ok, but the receive preamp seems to die after about 15-20 seconds, It acts like a relay isnt staying sealed in. I cant figure it out. I have no schematics and have been scouring the web and come up empty handed. Also If anyone knew what this amp is supposed to put out. I am keying 2 watts in swinging to 18 - and output of amp on is deadkey of 40 and swings to 180 or so on low. Switching the power on amp to med or high only seems to raise the amplified carrier but not the peak. No specualtion in replies please, I realize everyone has an opinion, but I could use some real help here. There are no tech's in my area. Feel free to reply to this post or email me at chip3655@gmail.com
Thanks,
Chip

I'm hoping someone has or has had the same amp with perhaps a similar problem. Thanks for your useless input though, lol

Wow

This guy either:

1. Is a troll

-- or --

2. Just doesn't have what they call "the social skills".

Therefore, I cannot offer help at any level, either technical or psychological.

Thanks for playing!

I had a few of those I bought new in the 90's when they first hit the market mine worked ok no problems and the output was around 300 watts there are 4 / SD1446 finals in that amplifier but theres only a 35 amp power supply to run this amplifer or an external device.

Thank you very much Tony. Must be my transistors are getting weak.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, but again, I'm speculating...

If, indeed, your leenyer is a 4 transistor SD1446 design and draw of each transitor is 12 amps at full rated power (see the data sheet), then perhaps your POWER SUPPLY is "weak".

Tony says the PS is rated at 35 amperes. Your "pillz" could easily attempt to draw 135%(+) of that. Isn't it more likely that the power supply itself is failing?

Unsolder the leenyer part from the power supply part and hook a decent gauge cable up to a car battery** [edit: from the car battery to the +/- B on the amp PCB], preferably whilst the car is hooked to it and running. Then check your wattage.

Did it (your wattage) return to what you consider "normal"?

Problem solved.

** or, alternatively, if you have a mondo 13.8v 60(ish) amp power supply at the ready, by all means use that.

Last edited:
I have a Boomer deluxe 500 power supply/amp that seems to work ok, but the receive preamp seems to die after about 15-20 seconds, It acts like a relay isnt staying sealed in. I cant figure it out. I have no schematics and have been scouring the web and come up empty handed. Also If anyone knew what this amp is supposed to put out. I am keying 2 watts in swinging to 18 - and output of amp on is deadkey of 40 and swings to 180 or so on low. Switching the power on amp to med or high only seems to raise the amplified carrier but not the peak. No specualtion in replies please, I realize everyone has an opinion, but I could use some real help here. There are no tech's in my area. Feel free to reply to this post or email me at chip3655@gmail.com
Thanks,
Chip
Well when you stop txing then your preamp dies 15 to 20 seconds later would lead one to think that it is losing it's power supply and that would not be much amp draw, check voltages on the output side of the preamp relay in rx.

As for the different carrier to peak wattages it all sounds normal, the transistors do have a maximum output don't they? so why would they increase just because your carrier level increased>? it should not, none of my amps do.

I've got a SuperStar 500,same thing,and the pre-amp is the same way. The relay contacts get dirty/corroded and with the proper tool (varnishing tool) can be brought back to life for awhile. I always had to clean mine about once a year. Now it sits in closet going to waste. Haven't used it for 5 years or so since CB died out here and I went Amateur radio. Sorry I don't remember the output;been way too long ago and a few too many beers ago too!!
Slim.

they are Motorola 455's - The power supply is fine, one of the transistors is weak. They are in pairs, so the power supply is ample. Thanks for the help and things to look for. I found a tech in my area and he is replacing them with 1446's and says the power supply will be more than ample as my radio swings only to 30watts max.
Thanks again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.