1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought Sigma Venom 5/8 Silver Rod, Performance Review To Follow

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Wire Weasel, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Well-Known Member

Good deal. I like the span you are getting on the SWR also.

Wire Weasel likes this.

2. Jay Mojave

Jay Mojave Well-Known Member

YO WW: Well excuse me! The photo does not show the full details of the antenna. Nope got a big screen monitor. The Sigma Venom Silver Rod Antenna looks like the old Hy-Gain Model 579, that uses a impedance marching circuit in its base insulator. Which most of the boys burned out with all their steam. Making Hy-Gain go to the Penetrator advertised to handle 1500 watts. See:

http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/hygain/model_579/index.htm

Glad you got it working and your happy with its performance.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Wire Weasel and Marconi like this.
  3. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

If the antenna needs a RF ground to work against and there isn't one built into the antenna or the install then it absolutely will unless you've choked off the feeder.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  4. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Assuming it is a length which doesn't present a high impedance on 27MHz.

5. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Without radials to decouple the coax from the feedpoint, the coax will radiate CMC. This is a well known characteristic of an end fed 5/8 wave. If you run little power it may not be any issue but RFI is likely to be a problem at higher power levels.

6. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel Senior Moment

Hi SW, as has been mentioned, Sigma's math is being questioned. The ant. is exactly 19' - which is a bit longer than 1/2 wave at 27mhz and considerably shorter than typical 5/8 measurements. So it seems it is actually a long 1/2 wave and likely performs more like your Antron 99's etc .... and without the radials. Who knows? All I am reporting is that it is 19.0 feet long and the manufacturer is claiming that it is a 5/8.

7. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

That does make more sense since the closer you are to 1/2 wave, the less dependent the antenna is on having radials.

Wire Weasel and Marconi like this.
  8. 2315 Robert

2315 Robert Grateful

WW would roll the dice right now with conditions. I would leave at 20 ft.at coax. If it's working good enjoy. If not put some radials. Seems there is a small consensus that the mast is your counterpoise.

9. Wire Weasel

Hi SW, Are you talking to me or the folks at Sigma? I did not manufacture this antenna

10. Wire Weasel

Hi 2315, It's working good and I'm enjoying.

11. Wire Weasel

Finally got the 35' push-up pole off the house (thanks to the roofers. I couldn't take it down myself) and now have the Sigma up on top of it in its permanent location on my outbuilding/shack. So bottom of ant. is about 32-33' off the ground and the antenna is working very well. Low noise and great receive. Always choose an all-aluminum over a wire-fiberglass antenna if you can (y)