• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bought the best cheap radio.

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Ordered the Uniden pro510XL from Amazon along with a DM452 power echo mic, Radio was free shipping mike was seperate an a few bucks for shipping. got both for under 50.00. Planing on putting them in the work van. Wanted a small radio on the inexpensive side. Thanks for everybodys help! Thats what makes this site Rock.Was also considering a small amp, The work Van has 2 --12Volt aux ports was thinking of an amp with a cig plug adpter, maby a small RM-60 25to 35 watts out set the radio low and let it talk *********anyone have expirence with a RM KL60 amp********and know actual output of this amp. about 39.00 + shipping could mount both to be able to remove easily was going to us a wilson1000 I have laying around. Thanks

around 20 years ago i had a 510 hooked to to a 250 texas star along with some 4 foot no-name fiberglass whip. never had a bad report on it' and actually was asked many times what i was running because they thought it sounded very good.

I ran my 520XL with the same mic, 100 watt Commander amp, and a Lil' Wil for years with great resuts. I would look at the KL203P amp, which is very small, light on the amperage draw, and will do 100 watts with your rig driving it. 50 bucks at H and Y, and they work great.

www.rmitaly.com

73 and have fun!
RT307

You will want to add an external speaker with that little Uniden, it helps alot. With an RM KL-60 you want an AM dead key of 1-1.5 watts max. Peak input is good up to 14-18 watts.

Years ago I had a KL60 strapped to the top of a Uniden 122xl. Radio would dead key 1.5 watts and swing 12-14. With the amp on it would key 12 and swing 40-45.

Would suggest the kl-203p and make sure you have the dead key set low to 1.5-2 watts. You can actually run both off the cigarette lighter plug if you need to without a problem.

Would suggest the kl-203p and make sure you have the dead key set low to 1.5-2 watts. You can actually run both off the cigarette lighter plug if you need to without a problem.

Thats what I was thinking the ports are power ports no cigg lighter came with them. Was going to run radio in one amp in the other. Was also wondering how low I can set the am power in the radio without doing some kind od mod or a variable power mod The key is small and in expensive.(y)

I used to know a couple of guys that modified these little unidens so there was about a half dozen lower channels in them. I've heard two things regarding this:

1. It can't be done. - Not true, I owned one.
2. Why would you do it? - To avoid the madness on the regular 40 channels when skip was rolling for local rag chewing without having to pay high dollars for export radios or for expensive alterations to radios that cost more to own. That's why we did it.

I wish I knew how it was done. I have one of those radios somewhere that I think could be done if I knew how . . .

Why would I do that? - just 'cause. It's like shooting bottle caps with a rifle - for fun.

BTW, a good radio for 40 channel AM work.

Thats what I was thinking the ports are power ports no cigg lighter came with them. Was going to run radio in one amp in the other. Was also wondering how low I can set the am power in the radio without doing some kind od mod or a variable power mod The key is small and in expensive.(y)

I think mine is set for a two watt dead key, and it swings to about 8 or 10 watts if I remember right. The little KL203P comes with a preamp, hence the "P" and it is really small. You could easily velcro it to the top of the 510XL without it hanging off the sides. 9C1Driver is dead on about the external speaker.... I forgot about that! I ran a Radio Shack model and it worked well, but there are tons of selections out there. I can't remember if the 510/520's will do the poor man's talk back or not, but it might be worth looking into one of the talkback external speakers just so you can monitor your echo on the DM. With your Wilson 1000, you are going to have a pretty kick butt little setup, and will probably surprise your friends with what you are running and how well you get out (especially for the money spent).

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

RT307

I could only lower the power to about 2.5 watts using the adjustment pot on a Uniden 520 (2011 model) depending on the meter I used...one measured 1.75 watts while the more trusted meter measured 2.5 watts. I have run a radio, kl203p and radar detector simultaneously off of one cigarette lighter plug without problems- no special set-up.

Was thinging about talk back, but the radio doesn't have PA olny external speaker.Was going to use a recorder that I have to record how the radio sounds with stock mic and echo mic at diff. levels. Give it a little tiny bit of echo and mark it with a dot from a silver shaprie marker or something where i need to set the level. Set the recorder up on the base and take a ride down the street.

Got the Superstar DM 452 mic today,Put a duarcell 9v battery in and I am happy with the mic. Don't have the pro 510xl yet but on the Magnums45hp I had to turn the mic gain down to 3 and with a touch of echo got great reports from the locals.Can't wait to set it up properly with the 510 will most likely set it up stock at first, no amp but should kick ass for small and inexpensive. I have a spare external speaker if the internal don't suit my needs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.