• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Boulder Built 757 Amps? Are they worth the price?

Batman 371

Jan 21, 2023
I'm considering buying a Boulder Built 757 16 Pill. The craftsmanship seems superb! The wattage even better and he claims that the parts he uses are the best there is. I'm wondering if they worth the extra cost? Also, what are other amps suggestions? What are some other builder that you may prefer? Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

I'm considering buying a Boulder Built 757 16 Pill. The craftsmanship seems superb! The wattage even better and he claims that the parts he uses are the best there is. I'm wondering if they worth the extra cost? Also, what are other amps suggestions? What are some other builder that you may prefer? Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

This should answer just about any question you have.

I have never heard him on the radio. We talk in different circles. He talks main ssb and me AM.
I've talked to him a couple of times now when the rare phenomenon of short skip happens. It wasn't until @ShadeTree said NB757 which he identifies as 757 North Boulder Colorado and the light bulb went off in my head. Not sure what he was talking on but it's one of those when you remember a nice sounding station.

My friend, if you're only talking AM then you're missing out on 75% of the fun. Ssb takes it to a whole other level, and especially now going into this solar cycle.

Chris,
Now we've derailed this guys thread hahaha so back to the topic!

Other than a qso I know nothing about his work or that he was even an amp builder aside from that link I posted above for you. That all I know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input for sure!
I've talked to him a couple of times now when the rare phenomenon of short skip happens. It wasn't until @ShadeTree said NB757 which he identifies as 757 North Boulder Colorado and the light bulb went off in my head. Not sure what he was talking on but it's one of those when you remember a nice sounding station.

My friend, if you're only talking AM then you're missing out on 75% of the fun. Ssb takes it to a whole other level, and especially now got into this solar cycle.

Chris,
Now we've derailed this guys thread hahaha so back to the topic!

Other than a qso I know nothing about his work or that he was even an amp builder aside from that link I posted above for you. That all I know.
k

My cousin bought that 4 pill 757 build. I got the chance to test it and found something interesting. I drive my DX-500 with 35 to 50 pep and get 500 to 650 pep out of it. I pull my amp out of the circuit and plug in the 757 . Run a test and get the exact same output. BUT, Nick says to drive his with up to 150 pep. so, I cranked it up to 120 pep and got 850 and at 150 pep drive I netted 1 kw from it. I may be wrong here, but it sure seems like all I was doing is over driving those pills by about 100%. Sure, the 4 pill put out 1kw, but for how long? I wasn't going to test durability.

My cousin bought that 4 pill 757 build. I got the chance to test it and found something interesting. I drive my DX-500 with 35 to 50 pep and get 500 to 650 pep out of it. I pull my amp out of the circuit and plug in the 757 . Run a test and get the exact same output. BUT, Nick says to drive his with up to 150 pep. so, I cranked it up to 120 pep and got 850 and at 150 pep drive I netted 1 kw from it. I may be wrong here, but it sure seems like all I was doing is over driving those pills by about 100%. Sure, the 4 pill put out 1kw, but for how long? I wasn't going to test durability.
Interesting?! Did your cousin continue to run on it hard? How is it holding up? Thanks for the info

It would be interesting to see just how much it's splattering on a scope at that output level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naysayer and NZ8N
Interesting?! Did your cousin continue to run on it hard? How is it holding up? Thanks for the info

Nope, he sold it. He also has the DX-500 like mine, and when I asked him if he'd rather beat the hell out of his radio to drive the 757, or loaf his radio for DX-500, he caught my drift. He knows theres no real difference between 600 pep and 850 pep on the receiving end, so why drive a radio hard to achieve that? Plus, if he wanted 1kw he would have to use a driver. It's my OPINION that pushing a radio hard or using a driver to achieve 1kw over 600 pep is simply not worth the trouble. I wouldn't mind driving 50 to 60 pep to achieve 1.5kw, but neither of us see the point in driving 100+pep for 1kw.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.