• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Brand-new Tech with a Yaesu FT-800 plus an OLD 2m handheld, and questions for y'all!

svbluewater

Apr 27, 2014
Hi! I just passed my Technician test and don't even have my call sign yet. But I do have lots of questions related to what to do next. Really, I'd like to know if there's a book I need that's a sort of next step for new hams with no experience. I need to know how to make a call, how to properly tune, what to expect from buttons on the radio, how to troubleshoot the basics. I'm so new I'm not even sure what I need to know or ask! I need to understand the basic vocabulary of ham use. Is there a newbie bible of some kind?

I travel on a boat with a Yaesu FT-800 and ship's station license. I don't know how to use the radio, but the previous owner of the boat was a longtime ham and so it was programmed for his use. We have the manual to it, but much of the language is over my head. I found a lot of great info on eham.net, but a book would be best since I'll often not have internet access. Any insights about this radio would be great!

The boat also came with an ancient 2m ICOM IC-2AT handheld that has no digital display. Looking at the online manual without a full understanding of how this all works isn't super helpful, but I'm trying to figure it out. Any pointers about that particular handheld also appreciated!! Seeing a bunch of those sub-$30 handhelds out there on Amazon and thinking one of those would be better...?

Finally, when traveling on a boat with a ship's station license, do I use that call sign or my own call sign? And is there something you're supposed to say when you aren't transmitting from the location where your license was issued? Thought I read something about that once...

Well any pointers are appreciated but it sure seems like there must be a "passed your test? Ok now you need this book" ham resource of some kind. I like web resources but a beginner reference guide that doesn't require the internet would be great too.

Thanks all, I'm excited to get started!
And yes, I'll be studying for my General right quick, and when I'm stationary for a while I'll definitely try to find an active ham club to join, where I'm sure I'll learn tons. :)

Ship frequencies are out of the Ham bands and require the ship license. When transmitting on those, you should hold a valid VHF ships license. Your Amateur Technician license only allows transmission in the specific frequencies allowed under Part 97. When on ham frequencies use ham call sign. When on VHF ship frequencies you use that call sign. I'm not sure but I don't know if ship license is transferable or if you need to pay the fee. I don't believe there is any test, but just a fee like GMRS.

I don't know about those radios but the inexpensive Baofeng and Wouxun radios are a great value for either Ham or commercial applications. Perhaps others will chime in.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best way for you is finding a local ham radio club and find an elmer that is willing to show you the details and the "how to do's" for the ham bands.
Maritime radio's here need a license in Europe, so you need to take a ( simple) test here and get a callsign provided and programmed in the radio as well before you can operate here, but things over there will be different, so my answer is possibly not applicable to your situation.

Find out if there is a local ham radio club near you, go and visit them and find an elmer for all in's and out's ;)
Just listening on the bands will teach you a lot as well, even after 37 years of being fully licensed, 99% of the time i'm still in listening mode ....

Pick up a copy of "Ham Radio For Dummies" by H. Ward Silver. Don't be fooled by the title. There's a wealth of knowledge in there and it's all explained in easy-to-understand language.

Also, join a good club. Good luck!

Mark K7OWG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?