• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Breedlove Mounts - SMH

Dopple

Apr 9, 2022
So, I was thinking about getting a breedlove mount for my Lil Tarheel antenna on my Jeep WK2. One of the ball mounts. I had an idea for them, with regards to the control wire. Why not design a water proof power connector that can integrate with the mount? Something with a weather cap that threads on, with an o-ring or something, that will survive trips through the car wash.

Their first reply?

"the control wire slot is pointing down
plus you can fill it full of caulk"

Duh, yes, I understand that, it's pretty obvious. So, I reply:

"Right, I understand that. But, there's still a wire dangling from the mount when you remove the antenna. That wire won't survive being drug through a car wash. Sealing the wire isn't the issue, the wire itself is the issue."

I'm trying to possibly have another product, or a redesign of a product that they can sell, that would really improve a sloppy way to get power to the antenna's motor. Their reply?

"thats a antenna design problem"

I'm done when those jokers. Very unprofessional. Here I thought I was trying to be helpful, but obviously they're stuck in their ways. The fudds of the antenna mount world. They might have a good product, but if they are so closed minded that they won't even consider improving their product, I have no desire to send them my money.

Reactions: groundwire

Been looking at some connectors sort of like these...
1651610384960.png

Or these...
1651610417710.png

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Communication isn't their specialty, that's for sure. I've always gotten 1-2 word replies from e-mails I've sent as well. However, their stake pocket antenna mounts are the best I've found - assume the rest of their products are just as high quality.

Being good at tooling or churning out chunks of metal is one skill set, business acumen, customer service & communication are others - usually people don't have them all. I get the impression it's a small operation.

Been looking at some connectors sort of like these...
View attachment 58764
Or these...
View attachment 58765
The metal one looks like it would fit the bill. Of course the plastic one would work, just not with a dangling cap. Would have to cut it loose and put it in the glove box.
They make a lot of nice looking heavy duty connectors.

I'd prefer all stainless, with a threaded on weather cap. Not sure if that spring-loaded cap would last for 10 years. Their products seem nice, and are about as close as I'm going to get without having a friend machine one from stainless.

I'm trying to possibly have another product, or a redesign of a product that they can sell, that would really improve a sloppy way to get power to the antenna's motor.
I don't blame Breedlove for not wanting to change their design. The issue is every screwdriver manufacture uses a different connector on the motor drive. There is no standard used. So, he would make one for your Tarheel. Then Scorpion would use another type...as my custom screwdriver, would require another etc. etc.
That is a part-time, one-man shop (Breedlove)
I believe he is a Mil-Right/CMC operator, so time vs. custom sales/$$$ would be issue IMHO

I'm not talking about accommodating all the different plug types. Cut the plug off and solder it to the connection that comes with the mount. Basically incorporate a power connection into the mount, something that'll last. All he had to tell me is that he doesn't want to modify his products, not put the blame on someone else.

I'm not talking about accommodating all the different plug types. Cut the plug off and solder it to the connection that comes with the mount. Basically incorporate a power connection into the mount, something that'll last. All he had to tell me is that he doesn't want to modify his products, not put the blame on someone else.
He's a machinist, not an electronics engineer. And doing what you ask could double the time it takes to make one and for him would increase his risk of claims for damage if he makes a poor job of wiring it up. Unlike you he has access to the sales information for how many people will ask for the slot putting in the mounts he makes as it's a custom option and I reckon there's not enough demand to make it worth doing.

Reactions: DoctorAudio
Some people good at communicating and bad at making stuff while others are good at making stuff and bad at communicating. I am not saying he or you are right or wrong just more it is what it is. I can only assume he would not want to make custom products for people because that most likely be all he would have time to do.

Yea, I get it. Though, I was looking at it as an enhancement to his product line that he could offer to everyone that uses his mounts with a screwdriver antenna. And, I see a lot of people using screwdriver antennas.

Do you want the best mount available or not? If it does not work the way YOU want it to work it's up to YOU to figure it out.
BREEDLOVE for sure makes the BEST mounts that you can Buy.You can run over them & they will survive with ease.If one of their mounts will not work for your vehicle they will design one that will.I have seen it happen several times & the owners were very pleased every time.

W4KVW
SIX-SHOOTER
WRMX520

Yea, I get it. Though, I was looking at it as an enhancement to his product line that he could offer to everyone that uses his mounts with a screwdriver antenna. And, I see a lot of people using screwdriver antennas.
I think Tarheel is who you should be speaking with.If you had a product that you made of your own so they can see it then they would not have to guess what you are suggesting.

W4KVW
SIX-SHOOTER
WRMX520

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated