• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Broken down.

Dec 6, 2019
Robyn 23 channel base mobile question, When I turn it on then try to hook up antenna it sparks fire at the antenna connection why any help will b appreciated, also the fuse in side of it is not there.

We need more details such as the model number. Does this radio operate on both AC and DC? If possible, photos of the inside might also help.

Is it a green T-123B? They are neat radios for sure, I have one and a T-240D yellow Robyn too. My guess is that there is a high voltage cap shorted to ground, maybe. The two prong plug that goes into the wall is not grounded and can let the chassis of the radio "Float" to a voltage above ground. Even if nothing is wrong with it. Is the missing fuse completely missing, or is there something in its place like a piece of wire so it operates without the fuse? If so, that sounds completely dangerous. See if you can pop the covers off and give us some pictures of the insides, maybe somebody will spot something.

Chris

Reactions: secret squirrel
Is it a green T-123B? They are neat radios for sure, I have one and a T-240D yellow Robyn too. My guess is that there is a high voltage cap shorted to ground, maybe. The two prong plug that goes into the wall is not grounded and can let the chassis of the radio "Float" to a voltage above ground. Even if nothing is wrong with it. Is the missing fuse completely missing, or is there something in its place like a piece of wire so it operates without the fuse? If so, that sounds completely dangerous. See if you can pop the covers off and give us some pictures of the insides, maybe somebody will spot something.

Chris

16039310056825450215630479613371.jpg 16039310890032649903518440289543.jpg

Chris
16039310056825450215630479613371.jpg

Reactions: secret squirrel
It looks like the fuse holder is supposed to have a 2 amp fuse in it. With the non polarized plug, it would be possible to have the fuse on the neutral side and the hot on the side that goes directly to the transformer. There is also a capacitor on this side connected to ground. This capacitor could have a problem.

One "Feature" of this radio is "Instant On" which means that when the set is turned off, the tube heaters still get voltage so they will always be warm and ready to go when you turn the set on. So this feature will always try to draw current through the transformer so be careful and don't have it plugged in with the covers off to work on it.

One test might be to put a 2 amp fuse in it and see if it blows. Probably the reason there is no fuse? Is this radio new to you or have you used it before?

Here is a link to Cbtricks with some info about the radio if it is the 123B there were some other radios that were similar too.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/robyn/t_123b/index.htm

Attachments

• robyn_t123b_om_sch.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
It looks like the fuse holder is supposed to have a 2 amp fuse in it. With the non polarized plug, it would be possible to have the fuse on the neutral side and the hot on the side that goes directly to the transformer. There is also a capacitor on this side connected to ground. This capacitor could have a problem.

One "Feature" of this radio is "Instant On" which means that when the set is turned off, the tube heaters still get voltage so they will always be warm and ready to go when you turn the set on. So this feature will always try to draw current through the transformer so be careful and don't have it plugged in with the covers off to work on it.

One test might be to put a 2 amp fuse in it and see if it blows. Probably the reason there is no fuse? Is this radio new to you or have you used it before?

Here is a link to Cbtricks with some info about the radio if it is the 123B there were some other radios that were similar too.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/robyn/t_123b/index.htm
New to me found at yard sale

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated