• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning golden eagle mark II problem

Hello agian NomadRadio and friends, well I got my mark ll transmitter to key up again, it was a bad 250 ohms 4 watt cement resistor, well I changed it to a new 250 ohms 10 watt resistor, and now I keys up with no watts out and the spot button is also working now, only sending a 9 pound carrier with no tone, and when I key the mic for like 5 seconds there is a resistor that gets hot and I can see it start to burn, so I instantly stopped, what would cause this? Here is a picture of resistor location, I did change all the electrolytic caps in the radio including the power supply capacitors, any input is greatly appreciated for sure.
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210416-160121_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-160121_Photo Editor.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 307
Turns out the manual at cb tricks has two copies of the receiver schematic, but no diagram of the transmitter.

Oops... Here's the one from my files.

The resistor that's burning is R9. Diagram says 680 ohms, not 68. Once it gets hot enough the brown band turns black. Makes it appear to read "68"

A bad final tube or shorted C11, C12, C13 or C14 would do this. Not a fault I remember seeing.

Attachments

• 69t_19.jpg
    69t_19.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 762
Thanks NomadRadio, I'm going to go over all the caps I put in the transmitter, also when I changed the caps from the twist lock oem to single electrolytics, I just removed the wires on the positive leads from canister caps and attached the positive lead from cap to all the wires that was removed from each of the leads then soldered the grounds to ground spot on old canister caps, or should I do it different? Also would you know why my tech from 20+ years ago would've put a relay in the receiver? I posted a picture of it, seems its tied into the transmitter somehow, because I took the other mark ll transmitter I just picked up I powered the set up and the transmitter seems to be working but the receiver wont load up meter stays all the way up, anyway I tried to plug the transmitter into my number number 1 radio, that I'm trying to fix and soon as I plug in the connector from transmitter to receiver, the meter goes up on receiver and there's no receive, unplug the connector and receive is Beautiful, just wondering if you would know why he put this, he was a awesome technician man, he was unbelievable with tube equipment, there is actually a schematic inside the receiver in a packet for all the relay work done to it , I dont have a clue what is going on any ideas?
Thanks again

Attachments

• 20210416_155944.jpg
    20210416_155944.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 357
  • 20210415_170636.jpg
    20210415_170636.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 286
  • 20210415_170525.jpg
    20210415_170525.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 393
Hmmm. A tech who haywires a socket-type relay by soldering wires to it. Also leaves the factory-original small electrolytic cap on the squelch and audio tubes.

No, I have no idea what that guy was thinking.

Not a modification I'm familiar with.

Thanks NomadRadio,
Yes something crazy going on in there but I will change out those caps, he did this work to it over 20 years ago, then last i heard he moved to Florida, I'm going to swap out those caps in this reciever, its actually working really good this one is but changing the caps will do it so good I'm sure, anyway thanks for your info about the transmitter, I tested the final tube 7558 and had no reading on the tube tester, I ordered a few of them just waiting know, going to get some 680 ohm resistors also and replace the one that was heating up, hopefully if all goes well with the tube I can use my baby again, lol , thanks a million man for hanging with me on this, I'll get back to you with my results,
Thank NomadRadio

Heya NomadRadio, your the best of the best man, my baby is back up and running thanks to you my friend, thank you so much for all your info to help me get it going, definitely wouldn't have solved it without you man, everything seems to be working now, even the spot button has a tone now when I push it, just one thing seems different, it is my dead carrier, it is 9 watts carrier and swings to 13 watts, is that normal? my meter is a MFJ VERSA TUNER V 3 KILOWATT SERIES, no average or peak button, and I'm using the built in 50 ohms dummy load, flat swr, if I can remember correctly before replacing all the electrolytic capacitors, a few of those cement resistors, and a brand new NOS 5763 final tube, the carrier was like almost 5 watts swinging to 12 watts with modulation, is this normal for this mark ll to put out that kind of wattage? Or do I have another problem waiting to happen? Thanks again Bud, hope your weekend was good.

9 Watt carrier?

Sounds as if someone put a jumper wire across one or more of the power resistors in the B+ section of the power supply.

That much carrier is nitrous-oxide territory. Impresses the crowd, but things wear out way too soon.

5 Watts swinging to 12 sounds more normal.

I'm going to check it out tonight and see if that was done, hopefully I can get carrier back down under 5 watts to preserve the life of this radio, I will keep ya posted on my finds, thank you again.

Hey Mr NomadRadio, good day to you sir, sorry for the delay on posting my finds on my mark ll, anyway it was my mfj 989b 3kw antenna tuner with built in watt meter, I ended up taking my bird meter out of my van and hooked it up and with 25w slug it was dead keying almost 4 watts talking to about 6 - 7 watts on average, and on pep talking to 18 watts, the mfj was out of calibration I would say, so I set it to what the bird is telling me, tell ya i really dont trust it anymore, lol ,anyway thanks again my friend for taking time to help me with my issues, radio is working good now, talking skip barefoot with it on 4 element beam! Again thanks Mr Nomad.

Reactions: Holydvr
I’m having trouble with modulation on my brownie golden eagle mark to its keys up the translates, but there’s no audio coming through the radio

First question is always do you blame the mike or the radio?

If you have only one mike that fits this transmitter, and only one transmitter that fits this mike, have a look at the heater inside the three audio tubes. If any of them are dark, start by cleaning out the tube sockets. Sometimes cleaning the pins of the tubes will help.

Substitution is the first thing to try, but if you can't do that, the covers have to come off the radio. Now is the time to ask if you are familiar with the high-voltage safety issues hiding in there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated