• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning Mark 4 with bad ears

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
have a Browning Mark 4 with a problem with the ears. checked out and replace all the tubes and all seem to be 85% and better tech did i guese what they were supposed to tune with ther bench equipment but the ears are still not up to par. i switched between a Tram D201A and Cobra 2000 while i was listing to conversation between two other operators. with the cobra i could hear both guys one was giving me 5 S units the other over 9 with the cobra. with the tram it was pretty close the same but with the Browning Mark 4 i could not even hear the guy that was pushing 5 S units on the others the guy at 9 was down around 6 but i just figured that too a stingy neddle but what has me sooooooooooo darn concerned is the fact i could not even hear the other guy while swithing back and fourth. is there sumthin my tech guy missed or just does'nt know about tuning the ears on the Mark 4.

radioreddz said:
have a Browning Mark 4 with a problem with the ears. checked out and replace all the tubes and all seem to be 85% and better tech did i guese what they were supposed to tune with ther bench equipment but the ears are still not up to par. i switched between a Tram D201A and Cobra 2000 while i was listing to conversation between two other operators. with the cobra i could hear both guys one was giving me 5 S units the other over 9 with the cobra. with the tram it was pretty close the same but with the Browning Mark 4 i could not even hear the guy that was pushing 5 S units on the others the guy at 9 was down around 6 but i just figured that too a stingy neddle but what has me sooooooooooo darn concerned is the fact i could not even hear the other guy while swithing back and fourth. is there sumthin my tech guy missed or just does'nt know about tuning the ears on the Mark 4.
help !!!!!!! :shock:

radioreddz said:
anyone have any idea ?

Try replacing the two Nuvistors in the caged section of the radio. They are 6DS4's. I was told if I ever had this problem (I own the Mark 4A) that look at those tube little tubes first. I hope this helps!

Crazy_D said:
Try replacing the two Nuvistors in the caged section of the radio. They are 6DS4's. I was told if I ever had this problem (I own the Mark 4A) that look at those tube little tubes first. I hope this helps!
thanks a million Crazy D those are two that wern't checked out had another guy tell me the same thing i am going to get on looking for two of those now 73's

RADIOREDZZ, I HAD A MARK IV WITH THE SAME PROMBLEM. I SENT IT TO RAYS ELECTRONICS HERE IN N.C. AND HE FIXED MINE. I FORGET EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS BUT HE WENT COMPLETLY THROUGH IT AND NOW IT HAS BETTER EARS THAN MOST NEW RADIOS. HE SAID RF HAD BEEN RUN THROUGH THE RECIEVER{ AMP HOOKED UP WRONG OR SOMETHING}. HES THE SAME GUY WHO BIULT THE ELKIN SERIES OF AMPS. HES VERRY KNOWLEDABLE. HOPE THIS HELPS 73'S

seahawk722 said:
RADIOREDZZ, I HAD A MARK IV WITH THE SAME PROMBLEM. I SENT IT TO RAYS ELECTRONICS HERE IN N.C. AND HE FIXED MINE. I FORGET EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS BUT HE WENT COMPLETLY THROUGH IT AND NOW IT HAS BETTER EARS THAN MOST NEW RADIOS. HE SAID RF HAD BEEN RUN THROUGH THE RECIEVER{ AMP HOOKED UP WRONG OR SOMETHING}. HES THE SAME GUY WHO BIULT THE ELKIN SERIES OF AMPS. HES VERRY KNOWLEDABLE. HOPE THIS HELPS 73'S
hey thanks a bunch i do have his phone number ray felt he is a great tube and radio guy 73's to you and thanks for the reminder about ray.

They are still used today..

I looked at my Mark 4A schematic, and the signal goes right to those for receive first, I bet any money its those... Its good to have a extra set around. My old tech told me if I ever lost receive, replace those 6SD4's first and 90% of the time it fixes the problem. Hope it works!! Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.