• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Build a Magnetic Loop?

This should get you started...Good Luck!
Thanks for the links, these are quite useful. (y)

@jon666
I know the said product, it would also have been interesting, particularly because of the sophisticated remote control, but unfortunately just some of the parameters don't match my expectations. In addition, there are too many complaints about MFJ loops in terms of their poor quality control. That and a few other details have made me shy away before making a purchase and certainly not because of the price. :unsure:

I don't say that all the products in their catalog are bad, some are even outstanding, like the receiving antenna MFJ-1886, but that's another story.

Boy Vac Variable Capacitors are $$. Found this one from Palstar C600
http://www.palstar.com/en/capacitors/

The Russian vacuum variables sold on ebay are good caps. Ive bought 3 of them from different sellers and no issues so far. Mounting them is a little awkward but some stainless hose clamps and flat brass stock have worked well for me.

I picked up a used jennings cap that looked perfect but made a ticking noise as it was being adjusted. I checked it with a cap meter and an ohm meter and found it was shorting out. Check them through their full range before putting it into action or buying at a swap meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
I don't know, never had a problem with mine.
Today is Friday the 13th, the right time for criticism or to complain about something! ;)

What has always annoyed me at MFJ is their development department, which does not seem to have the slightest idea what we actually need. So the offered remote control for the MFJ-1788 is currently the best on the market, as it has indeed automatic band switching capability, but until today no auto tuning mode. It would greatly facilitate working with the antenna if you were not constantly forced to tune it manually every time you changed frequencies. The case would be big enough to accommodate a second PCB. That's one more reason why so many users reject loop antennas, or stop working with them.

tuning takes what 2 minutes with the remote.
i dont see the problem.. i have lots of mfj stuff no issues.
i have the mfj loop.
mfj grandmaster meter
mfj noise canceler.
and a few more never has a problem with mfj stuff

MFJ started out in a hotel room over 50 years ago, now they manufacture over 1000 products.
Where MFJ started and how much inferior goods they offer is completely irrelevant in this matter! Fact is that until now they have not been able to meet today's quality standards, instead they are trying to replace quality with quantity and that is a completely wrong market strategy. But it is no wonder considering that the boss of the company is of Chinese origin. The number of critics is constantly increasing and everyone says the same, it is only the cheapest material installed but charged for a hefty price. It fits well with their overall picture, if they don't invest in the development of better products, innovation is obviously a foreign word for these people! :eek:

Meanwhile, the company is even ridiculed in Russia and other countries, where they strongly discourage the purchase of their products. Some already interpret the abbreviation MFJ for good reason as "Mighty Fine Junk"! A lot of customers complain again and again that they had to revise or even repair almost all the products they bought at this company. But the best comes as always at the end, namely their warranty terms, which allows you to disassemble and repair the device, without the warranty being affected. This is understandable in view of the numerous complaints and warranty cases, as they have apparently enough to do with the many returns. But worst of all is this stupid rumor, the company would be hard to replace, that should be better known, especially in the American economy. :rolleyes:

So please do us a favor and stop claiming MFJ would be a great company, because the opposite is the case! (n)

Last edited:
Reactions: binrat
They build to a price point. There are plenty of other companies making the same stuff they do with better quality, you just have to be willing to pay for it.
Of course, but that's always a matter of personal need. However, the decisive factor for the buyer is always whether the price is justified or not and here I see the actual problem at MFJ.

Ok, watched the video again and used the calculator. Seems it's more for 80 m then 160 m.
One more word about the author of the video, Jeri Ellsworth may well be a talented person, but unfortunately unreliable in every way. The people who looked at the first part have now been waiting for the next half a year and until today there is no reaction from her. In this way you can't operate a serious project.

But that's not all, she was also made aware that her preliminary design is very lossy. Guess what her excuse was! "Yes, I know, but that was intentional, so people have more room to experiment." o_O Already her last break was about 5 years, without saying goodbye with a single word. I'm sure a civilized person, but this disgusting person I would most like to strangle like a turkey! But the world flatters her, just because she is a woman, simply incomprehensible! :mad:

Reactions: BenMara
So did she take money for making the second video and not deliver it? I wonder if she may have read the comments about her on qrz and decided it wasn't worth her time.

I'd be more upset with the big companies selling the miracle antennas to people that don't know any better than someone who made an instructional video to build an antenna that may not be efficient enough.

So did she take money for making the second video and not deliver it? I wonder if she may have read the comments about her on qrz and decided it wasn't worth her time.
If she actually took money, then at least only from YouTube, as far as I know. But this is no reason to leave the public without a word and to disappear into nirvana. The only thing left is a construction site with which nobody can do anything anymore. Although her time should be so valuable, you can expect at least a short explanation, no matter if a few people have made a critical comment or not! Maybe she's missing the guts to convince her readers. :cautious:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated