• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

building a 17m/12m beam out of scraps

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
I had an old Hi Gain TH-4 (2 elements 20m/15/10m, 1 element 10m, and 1 element 15m/20m) laying around... it was not worth fixing as it was just falling apart... I stole some parts off it to add 6m to my triband yagi (old Wilson SY-33) (built 3 6m 1/2 wave elements)

It has 4 traps for 10m and 6 traps for 15m

However the boom is in good shape and I was thinking about building a 17m/12m dual band 2 element yagi

I was thinking that MAYBE I could just use the 15m traps

looking kind of like this

17m 12m 12m 17m
------15m trap---------feed point---------15m trap------

Question would a 15m trap work or would this be a problem?

you want to install 15 meter traps and then use them both above and below 15 meters.............. good luck with that :D

.do your self a favor,.... sell the 15 meter traps and put up a monobander

I realize you mean to have basically two mono band loaded antennas but what about each element functioning as a dual band element just like on the Cushcraft A3WS? Here is a page that details the conversion of the A3 tribander to an A3W dual bander for 12/17m.

http://www.qsl.net/w6efb/antenna.html

I think that is what I was looking for thanks

that was what I was trying to explain with this 'picture'

look at it like it's a dipole

------15m trap---------feed point---------15m trap------

OK when I saw 17m 12m 12m 17m I thought you meant two 15m elements and two 17m elements with the 15m elements in the middle of the 17m elements. I have not tried the modifications on the page I linked to above however the author of that page claims it works well. I was going to attempt it as I had a defunct A3 and a new Explorer-14 for 10/15/20/40m. I ended up buying a new A3WS instead when the dealer returned $800 in over payment for shipping me a tower. :) He got a deal from the freight company and passed it along to me. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.