• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Building a half wave coaxial antenna

Bow

Bastard Modulation Engineering
Aug 13, 2008
SouthWest AZ
reverendbow.wordpress.com
Well.. I decided to try my hand at building a vertical antenna for the house.

I was looking at designs on line and stumbled on this page: 6 Meter Repeater Antenna 1/2 Wave Coaxial Vertical Antenna Design

The current idea is:
102" Radio Shack whip for the stinger
3/8 x 24 Feed Through for the stinger mounting
1" x 10' copper for the inner coax run
1.5" x 10' copper for the outer lower half of the dipole
1" cap
1.5" cap

I plan on constructing it just like the website shows, running the coax (RG-8X up through the inner 1" pipe), but I have a question about scaling it for 11/10 meters...

I am thinking the the 1.5" lower/outer pipe makes the other half of the dipole, and should be cut to length (around 102") to match the 102" on the stinger.

I realize I am basically building a Shakespeare Big Stick, but building is a lot more entertaining than buying (cheaper too), and the copper will blend in nicely with the surrounding landscape...

My question is:
Is the length of the inner 1" pipe critical to the operation of the antenna?
If so, how long does it need to be while still allowing for mounting?

Thanks

No, the length isn't critical. It's used for support so as long as it's long enough to allow for adequate mounting it should work fine. A little longer than necessary would probably be a good idea.
- 'Doc

Hmm. I need a picture... Anyone know what I'm talking about??

I used to have one in the middle of the roof of my car. They used to be very popular on taxis, sometimes attached to a right angle bracket bolted to the fender next to the hood or trunk.

It uses a 3/8 inch hole mount, then a black plastic part that screws onto the mount, and the whip goes on top. Coax feeds up through center, shield clamped in place and the center conductor twists around under the whip.

That's what went on top of the copper sleeve...

Ball Mount?

ball_mount_two_inch_web.jpg

Sounds like some sort of 'beehive' or stud mount. I think I can remember seeing them but it's been a long time ago. Also remember them turning sort of grey'ish over time. They worked.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated